Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka rocketed 12 spots to the seventh after claiming the US Open title on Saturday, defeating Serena Williams of the US 6-2, 6-4 in the women's final of the season's last Grand Slam tournament, reports Efe news.
Osaka's victory also made her the first Japanese to win a Grand Slam title, leaving her with a record of two wins and no losses against the world's top female tennis player, as she had previously beat Williams in the first round of the last Masters 1000 in Miami.
Further down the rankings, Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic jumped 32 places to world No. 71 having competed in the US until the round of 16, in which she was knocked out by Lesia Tsurenko of Ukraine.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 8,061 Points
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 5,975
3. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 5,425
4. Caroline Garcia (France) 4,725
5. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 4,585
6. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,555
7. Naomi Osaka (Japan) 4,115
8. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,105
9. Sloane Stephens (US) 3,912
10. Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 3,787
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)