We are celebrating the 75th anniversary of India’s independence as Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. Looking at the different themes that will be covered through various activities planned through the year, I scrolled through the commemorating activities under the theme, Freedom Struggle. It had no mention of the role played by Mahatma Gandhi in the freedom movement nor of Jawaharlal Nehru and some other important leaders. It seeks to “bring alive stories of unsung heroes whose sacrifices have made freedom a reality for us.” This is unexceptionable, but the only “unsung heroes” mentioned are Birsa Munda, the tribal leader, and Subhas Chandra Bose. Is it really possible to ignore the role played by Mahatma Gandhi even if Nehru has now become an object of derision?
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.