There seems to be something unreal about some of the major events that have engulfed the country in the last few weeks. Can there be a design behind them? Are things unfolding according to the script or have things gone a bit awry? If it be the latter then the question arises: Is the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi fully in control?
Take the case of the Invest in India Week, which ended last Thursday at which the prime minister said "we will not resort to retrospective taxation" and for emphasis added, "I repeat this commitment." Then on the penultimate day of the event Vodafone announced that it had received a renewed tax demand for Rs 14,200 crore, failure to pay which could lead to seizure of property.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, February 23 2016. 21:49 IST