You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

3 men found guilty of Aus Christmas terror plot

Topics
War Conflict

AFP  |  Sydney 

Three young men have been found guilty of plotting terror attacks in Australia's second-largest city, intending to inflict mass casualties during the Christmas festive season.

The court was told the men -- Hamza Abbas, 23, Ahmed Mohamed, 25 and Abdullah Chaarani, 27 -- bought machetes and ingredients to make homemade bombs, and wanted to target major Melbourne sites including a train station and a church.

The verdict came as Australians were reeling from last Friday's Islamic State-inspired knife attack and attempted car bombing in Melbourne, which left two dead including the attacker.

Hamza Abbas' older brother Ibrahim Abbas pleaded guilty earlier this year to the Christmas plot, which was to be carried out in December 2016.

The Supreme Court of Victoria jury decision was handed down in early November but only permitted to be published Wednesday after the lifting of suppression orders.

Ibrahim Abbas had told the court he "wanted to make sure that the casualties would be high", Melbourne's Herald Sun reported.

"The bigger the better. The bigger the more terror is achieved, and that's the point." Police uncovered the plot after monitoring the Australian-born men's phone conversations, text messages and emails, and all four were arrested on December 22, 2016.

Prosecutors had also alleged a link to the Al-Qaeda magazine Inspire's article "How to make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom", which was found on one of the men's phones.

Then Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called their plans "one of the most substantial terrorist plots that have been disrupted over the last several years".

Authorities say more than a dozen terrorist attacks have been prevented in recent years, but several have taken place, including a cafe siege in Sydney in 2014 where two hostages were killed.

The men are due to be sentenced at a later date, and face life imprisonment.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, November 14 2018. 14:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU