You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Alstom Bharat Forge begins production at Sanand plant

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Alstom Bharat Forge Power Ltd, a joint venture of France's Alstom and Bharat Forge, has commenced production at its new Rs 1,350-crore manufacturing facility at Sanand in Gujarat for making supercritical turbines and generators.

Set up over an area of 185,000 square meters, the site boasts of an annual capacity of 4000 MW and producing equipment for several major power projects in India, the company said in a statement here.

Alstom holds 51 per cent share in the joint venture while Bharat Forge holds the remaining 49 per cent.

The factory employs more than 250 highly skilled manpower and plans are afoot to ramp it up to 650 in the near future.

"The start of production at Sanand in a record time of 17 months, after the first excavation works, were kicked off in November 2013 and is a major construction and commissioning achievement in greenfield manufacturing facilities.

"The manufacturing facility incorporates stringent manufacturing processes and practices to ensure high level of reliability, performance and quality for the goods supplied out of the factory," the statement said.

The first production from the new plant will be related to major power projects in India with the first deliveries planned in current calendar year, it said.

Baba Kalyani, Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Forge Ltd, said, "The commencement of operations of the facility in Gujarat is the first of many milestones for the Joint Venture and we believe it will be a cornerstone in the 'Make In India' initiative of the Government of India. This reaffirms our commitment to strengthening India's infrastructure backbone in the years ahead."

Alain Spohr, CEO & Managing Director, Alstom-Bharat Forge Power Ltd, said, "Alstom and Bharat Forge are delighted to be announcing the commencement of operations at its manufacturing facility in Gujarat and support the Indian Government's vision to promote supercritical and ultra-supercritical technology."


Alstom's supercritical technology uses steam with very high temperatures and pressure, resulting in a much higher efficiency than conventional subcritical coal-fired plants. This means that a supercritical unit burns much less coal, generating less emission per megawatt of power output.

Alstom is already engaged in the evolution towards ultra-supercritical technology, with 10 ultra-supercritical units operating worldwide. Such machines, manufactured in Sanand, are now offered by ABFPL for future Indian power projects, the statement added.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, May 26 2015. 17:02 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU