You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Britain seeks UN resolution on Srebrenica genocide

AFP  |  United Nations 

Britain is drafting a UN Security Council resolution to mark the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre and reflect on the UN's failure to prevent genocide.

About 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys were slaughtered in July 1995 in the UN-protected enclave of Srebrenica in Europe's worst atrocity since World War II.

"The UK is leading on the drafting of a UN Security Council resolution to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide in Srebrenica," a spokesperson at the British mission to the United Nations said today.

"The exact content is still under discussion with partners, but we expect that it will commemorate the victims of the genocide at Srebrenica, and those who suffered on all sides in the war, and that it will encourage further steps towards reconciliation."

"This is also an occasion for the international community to reflect on the lessons learned from one of the darkest moments in UN history and reaffirm our determination to prevent genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes," the spokesperson said.

The draft resolution is expected to come up for a vote during the first week of July as Bosnia prepares to hold commemorations at the Srebrenica memorial on July 11.

Bosnian Serb forces commanded by General Ratko Mladic overran Srebrenica on July 11 in what was to become one of the darkest chapters of the 1992-95 Bosnian war.

Dutch UN peacekeepers bowed to pressure from Mladic and forced thousands of Muslim families out of their protected compound.

Bosnian Serb forces loaded men and boys onto trucks and later executed them in what international courts have ruled was a genocide.

Mladic is on trial before an international court in The Hague on 11 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity during the war that left 100,000 dead.

The Dutch government last year said it would pay the families of Srebrenica victims 20,000 euros each in compensation, after a civil court ruling that the state was indeed liable for the deaths.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, June 10 2015. 01:48 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU