You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Concern in LS over missing children, sexual harassment

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Opposition members sought to know from Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath about the steps being taken to deal with growing number of missing children.

The minister said 'Helpline 1098' can be used to register complaints or to report if they have found a missing child.

This made members ask as to what is being done in villages where there are no helplines.

Harsimrat Kaur (SAD) said there are a host of laws but the issue is that these are not being implemented.

Asked about the cases of sexual harassment of children in schools and other places, Tirath again said the same helpline can be used for registering complaints.

The minister maintained that National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) is involved in taking measures to deal with such cases.

Tirath said there are several laws in the country for protection of child rights.

"NCPCR ensures that all laws, policies, programmes and administrative mechanisms are in consonance with child rights perspective, enshrined in the Constitution of India and the Convention on the Rights of Child (CRC), to which India is a party," the minister said in a written reply.

Speaker took note of the protests and said the members should send a notice for discussion on the rights of children and atrocities against them and she should allow a debate on it.

First Published: Fri, December 07 2012. 14:05 IST