You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Indian restaurant fined 25,000 Australian dollars for food regulation breaches in Australia

Press Trust of India  |  Melbourne 

A Perth-based has been fined a whopping 25,000 Australian dollars for multiple regulation breaches, according to a media report.

The Curry Club on South Street and its owner were convicted after the restaurant fell short on a number of fronts when it came to cleanliness and not providing appropriate hand washing facilities.

The restaurant was found breaching seven acts, including failure to store properly protecting it from the likelihood of contamination, failure to maintain to a standard of cleanliness and failure to clean and sanitise

Health inspectors during their visit to the restaurant last December found non-compliance in relation to sewage and water disposal, mouldy cutting boards and a lack of hot water and soap, reported.

A for the City of said inspectors found a number of breaches, including an open spoon drain that had been cut across the floor and was covered in mould and slime.

"Waste water was also observed leaking directly onto the floor in the main kitchen from drainage pipes located under the sink," he said.

Waste water appeared to spill from the wash sink, drains and bucket trap and flow around into the cool room, posing a further risk of cross contamination, the said, adding that a number of chopping boards used for were warped and mouldy.

The said a chest freezer was observed to be rusty, mouldy and full of old food scraps, while the cool room door was covered in a build-up of dirt, mould and grease.

Drainage pipes under the sink were mouldy and slimy, while no hot water, hand soap or hand towels were available.

There was also no used to clean food contact surfaces, the was not working and several dirty and mouldy dishwashing racks were found.

A manhole cover in the ceiling was missing, leaving a large opening directly into the ceiling space, the spokesman said.

The breaches amounted to a fine of 25,000 dollars for the restaurant.

The report quoted the restaurant owner Dokhe as saying that he was not on site during the inspection, however, ensured the kitchen was cleaned to the proper standard the next day.

Other issues identified in an improvement notice issued by the city's health officers, such as cracked tiles, were fixed in the following weeks.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, May 17 2019. 13:50 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU