You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

Italy's PM imposes nationwide travel restrictions to contain Coronavirus

The restrictions will take effect on Tuesday and like those in northern Italy will last until April 3, Giuseppe Conte said

AP | PTI  |  Milan 

Giuseppe Conte, Italy's prime minister, addresses the Senate in Rome, Italy, on Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2019. Alessia Pierdomenico/ Bloomberg
Giuseppe Conte, Italy's prime minister

Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte says travel restrictions are being imposed nationwide to try to stop the spread of the new

Conte said Monday night that a new government decree will require all people in to demonstrate a need to work, health conditions or other limited reasons to travel outside the areas where they live.

The restrictions will take effect on Tuesday and like those in northern will last until April 3, he said.

"There won't be just a red zone,'' Conte told reporters referring to the quarantine order he signed for a vast swath of northern with a population of 16 million over the weekend.

"There will be Italy" as a protected area, he said.

The premier also took to task the young people in much of Italy who have been gathering at night to drink and have a good time during the public health emergency that started on February 21.

"This night life...we can't allow this anymore," Conte said.

Pubs had been closed in northern Italy, with eateries and cafes also ordered to close at dusk. Now that crackdown is extended to the entire country.

First Published: Tue, March 10 2020. 02:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU