You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Marseille offer coach Villas-Boas new contract amid doubts over future

Topics
Sports

AFP  |  Marseille 

Marseille have offered coach Andre Villas-Boas a two-year contract extension, the French club announced, amid widespread reports that the Portuguese is set to leave after just one season in charge.

A Marseille statement said the club wished to put right "erroneous" media reports about a new contract offer and confirmed Villas-Boas -- whose existing deal runs until the end of next season -- had been offered the extension which would tie him to the Velodrome until 2023.

It would also carry the option of a further season if they qualify for the Champions League in that campaign.

It comes after the 42-year-old led the former European champions to second place behind Paris Saint-Germain in the Ligue 1 season which was ended early because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Marseille, who are owned by American tycoon Frank McCourt, are therefore set to feature in the Champions League next season for the first time since 2013/14.

The statement said the contract offer showed "the club's willingness to create stable conditions without which nothing solid can be built for the long term" as well as the "confidence of the club in the qualities of Andre Villas-Boas as a coach".

However, the announcement comes when Villas-Boas has been widely expected to quit in the wake of the departure of Spanish sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, to whom he had tied his future.

"I came here, one, due to the size of the club, and, two, for Andoni Zubizarreta. I have already said that my future is intimately linked to his future," said Villas-Boas in January.

The former Porto, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur coach has also expressed concern about the club's ability to invest in new signings for next season.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, May 20 2020. 09:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU