You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

Roll-out delay hikes manufacturing projects' cost by Rs 4.5 lakh cr: Assocham

Study observes that investors also cause delay in implementation of projects due to various reasons

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Fund constraints, delay in land acquisition and absence of timely clearances hit roll-out of key manufacturing projects with cost overrun estimated at a whopping Rs 4.5 lakh crore as of FY 2013-14, says an Assocham study.

Of the total live investments worth over Rs 30 lakh crore attracted by the manufacturing sector across India as of financial year 2013-14, about 44.5% investment projects worth over Rs 13 lakh crore have remained non-starter, stated the study.

"The Government needs to ensure time-bound execution of projects and limit the time-frame for clearance by concerned authorities and penalise them if they are not able to meet deadlines," Assocham Secretary General D S Rawat said.

"New investments in the manufacturing sector have declined at an annual negative average rate of 21.5% since 2009-10," he added.

The study observed that investors also cause delay in implementation of projects due to reasons like inappropriate planning, change of ownership, lack of co-ordination with contractors and other stakeholders involved.

"Poor execution of investment projects in manufacturing sector across India has resulted in serious cost-push worth over Rs 4.5 lakh crore as of financial year 2013-14, about 44% of their actual cost of over Rs 10 lakh crore. The overruns vary from one month to as high as 50 months, placing the project viability at risk," the study said.

Private sector-based manufacturing investment projects have majority share of about 65% in projects that have registered cost overruns while public sector-owned projects accounted for the remaining 35%, the survey noted.

Sector-wise, the steel sector recorded maximum surge of 52% in cost overruns followed by refinery (22%), aluminum and aluminum products (6%).

Among states, Odisha has acquired maximum share of 27% in cost overruns in manufacturing sector-specific investment projects across India followed by Jharkhand (13%), Andhra Pradesh (10%), Karnataka (9.6%) and Rajasthan (8%).

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Sun, August 10 2014. 11:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.