You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Syrian war will go on despite Western strikes: British FM

AFP  |  London 

British today said the Syrian will inevitably continue after unprecedented Western strikes, which were limited to targeting the country's facilities.

Britain and on Saturday joined the US-led missile strikes, which came a week after a deadly attack on the town of where civilians were hit with chlorine and sarin according to the Western powers.

Despite describing the intervention as "successful", Britain's said there were currently no plans for further attacks.

"I'm afraid that is the unhappy corollary of this that if we say we're limiting our action to .. then of course it follows that the rest of the Syrian must proceed as it will," Johnson told television.

British warplanes took part in the strikes, which destroyed sites suspected of hosting development and storage facilities.

The majority of the more than 350,000 victims of the seven-year conflict have been killed by conventional rather than chemical weapons.

But Johnson stressed the "overwhelming purpose" of the mission was a response to a series of in recent years.

"Finally the world has said enough is enough," he said.

is expected to face a backlash on Monday when she addresses parliament, with some MPs angry the government joined the US-led mission without first seeking their approval.

A Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday newspaper found just 30 percent of people supported May's decision to launch military without lawmakers' approval, with 54 percent opposed.

Britain and its allies have since the strikes renewed diplomatic efforts at the United Nations, circulating a joint draft resolution at the calling for an investigation into in

Negotiations on the proposals are due to start on Monday, a day after a delegation from the were due to arrive in

The team of experts are set to investigate the April 7 attack east of the capital Damascus, which the and its Russian ally deny ever took place.

The OPCW itself had declared that the Syrian government's chemical weapons stockpile had been removed in 2014, only to confirm later that sarin was used in a 2017 attack in the northern town of

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, April 16 2018. 00:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU