You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

100,000 flee Syria after Turkey attack; Erdogan says won't stop operation

EU governments also threatened sanctions against Turkey, rejecting Erdogan's warning that he would 'open the gates' and send 3.6 million refugees to Europe if they did not back him

Agencies  |  Akcakale 

Syrian flag, flag

Turkish forces faced fierce resistance from US-allied Syrian Kurdish fighters on the third day of Ankara's offensive in northern Syria, as casualties mounted, criticism of the campaign intensified and estimates put the number of those who fled the violence at 100,000.

Turkey said it captured more Kurdish-held villages in the border region, while a hospital in a Syrian town was abandoned and a camp of 4,000 displaced residents about 12 kilometers (7 miles) from the frontier was evacuated after artillery shells landed nearby.

Reflecting fears that Turkey's offensive could revive the Islamic State group, two car bombs exploded outside a restaurant in the Kurdish-controlled urban center of Qamishli, killing three people, and the extremists claimed responsibility. The city also was heavily shelled by Turkish forces.

Kurdish fighters waged intense battles against advancing Turkish troops that sought to take control of two major towns along the Turkish-Syrian border, a war monitor said.

The UN estimated the number of displaced at 100,000 since Wednesday, saying that markets, schools and clinics also were closed. Aid agencies have warned of a humanitarian crisis, with nearly a half-million people at risk in northeastern

US President Donald Trump cleared the way for Turkey's air and ground invasion after he pulled American troops from their positions near the border, drawing swift bipartisan criticism that he was endangering regional stability and putting at risk the lives of Syrian Kurdish allies who brought down the Islamic State group in US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Washington is "greatly disappointed" by the offensive, which has badly damaged already frayed relations with NATO-ally Turkey.

In a strong statement of support for the Kurds, Esper insisted that "we are not abandoning our Kurdish partner forces, and U.

S. troops remain with them in other parts of " Milley emphasized that US forces are still working with Kurdish forces.

US troops conducted a military patrol about 30 kilometers (19 miles) south of Tal Abyad, in their first visible deployment since Turkey launched the operation. American troops had pulled out of the border area in Syria earlier this week and Trump said the estimated 1,000 US troops were not in harm's way.

A US official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to brief reporters, said the patrol was not in support of operations against the Turkish offensive.

Erdogan says will not stop operation Turkey President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey will not stop its operation against the Kurdish YPG militia in northern Syria, no matter what anyone says. United States threatens Turkey with sanctions The incursion, launched after Trump withdrew US troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces against Islamic State militants, has opened a new front in the eight-year-old Syrian civil war and drawn fierce criticism. Trump, fending off accusations that he abandoned the Kurds, loyal allies of the US, suggested that Washington could mediate in the conflict, while also raising the possibility of imposing sanctions on Turkey. US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Friday that President Donald Trump had authorised US officials to draft “significant” sanctions to target Turkey after it launched an offensive in northeast Syria, adding that banks were being notified. Furious with Turkey, EU threatens sanctions EU governments also threatened sanctions against Turkey, rejecting Erdogan’s warning that he would “open the gates” and send 3.6 million refugees to Europe if they did not back him.

First Published: Sat, October 12 2019. 01:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU