-
ALSO READ
Messi, Fati score as Barcelona beats Leganes 2-0 in return to Camp Nou
Coronavirus crisis: Barcelona players to take 70% pay cut, says Messi
Table-toppers Barcelona, Real Madrid continue their charge for LaLiga title
Messi scores 700th goal but Barca's La Liga title hope hangs by a thread
Football loses its essence when played in empty stadiums: Barcelona manager
-
Star striker Lionel Messi has reportedly expressed his unwillingness to renew his contract with Barcelona, which is set to expire next year.
Messi, who is club's all time top scorer's contract, was expected to sign a new deal that would keep him at the club until at least 2023.
However, according to a report by Spanish radio station Cadena Ser, the 33-year-old has now changed his mind and will instead leave when the deal ends.
The report said that Messi and his father Jorge had begun discussing renewing his last deal with the club, which was signed in 2017, but he no longer wishes to stay with Barcelona.
Earlier this season Messi, and the players, were blamed by Eric Abidal for the departure of manager Ernesto Valverde, following the loss to Atletico Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa. Messi, however, had denied his involvement in the decision.
Recently, Messi scored his 700th career goal after he scored from the penalty spot in Barcelona's 2-2 draw against Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou in the ongoing La Liga.
The Barcelona star, who converted a spot kick to reach the milestone on Tuesday, has scored 630 times for Barca in 724 appearances in all competitions and another 70 for Argentina in 138 caps.
Dear Reader,
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.
Digital Editor