The Sports Ministry has made it clear that the fate of the 13th edition of the IPL can be decided only after the government comes out with a fresh advisory after April 15
As much as so many of us live and breathe sport, catastrophes such as these help put things into perspective
The prized BCCI cash-cow IPL may see a massive value erosion of USD 1 billion over its last year valuation if the game is called off this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, says a report. According to the global advisory firm Duff & Phelps, the brand Indian Premier League (season 12) was valued at USD 6.8 billion in 2019 and the same will see an erosion of USD 200-350 million if the BCCI goes in for a truncated tourney with empty galleries and USD 700-1,000 million if the season is cancelled. The advisory agency as arrived at the numbers based on a two-scenario assessment of a truncated tourney with half the numbers of matches being played to empty galleries or no revenue from the gate sales and a complete washout of the 2020 season. As of now, the BCCI has not taken a final call on the IPL season which is expected on April 15. If cancelled, India will not be the lone loser as dozens of much larger cash-flowing matches across the world have already been called off and the fate of .
AB de Villiers surprised the cricketing world by announcing his retirement in May 2018 and while he did say back then that he wanted to leave while still playing decent cricket
The IPL 2020 has been postponed till April 15 with India reporting more than 120 positive cases and three deaths
Seventeen Australians hold Indian Premier League contracts, which was scheduled to start on March 29 but has been suspended till April 15
Royal Challengers Bangalore on Monday deferred its training camp, which was scheduled to begin on March 21, due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the country.
Earlier, India opener and Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma had posted a video on his social media handles.
Stakeholders include, apart from the BCCI, the advertisers, eight franchisees, US media giant Disney, which has the broadcasting and digital rights for the IPL matches, and more than 200 players.
The start of the 13th edition of Indian Premier League has been suspended from March 29 to April 15 with India currently registering 114 positive cases and two deaths for Covid-19
RCB also urged everyone to follow the guidelines provided by the Health Ministry.
The 13th edition of the Indian Premier League, which was due to start on March 29, has already been deferred till April 15 in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak
It was unanimously decided in meeting with BCCI that safety is a priority and considering how things stand, they might have to give the league a miss this year, says a franchise official
The only way we can come to normalcy is by all of us coming together, says Rohit Sharma in a video post on Twitter
Before the coronavirus crisis caused mass cancellations and postponements in the last three days, March was to be a busy sports month
The government on Wednesday had cancelled all visas, except for a few official categories, till April 15 in the wake of the growing coronavirus scare.
IPL 2020, which was supposed to start on March 29, was on Friday postponed till April 15
The Board's top boss reiterated that safety is their top priority, a day after the IPL was postponed and the three-match ODI series between India and South Africa was also called off
Kings XI Punjab co-owner Ness Wadia said: "BCCI, IPL and (official broadcaster) Star (Sports) are clear that we are not looking at financial loss
Kolkata Kight Riders co-owner and Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on Saturday said he is hopeful of the COVID-19 pandemic subsiding and a deferred IPL going ahead with all the necessary health precautions in place. A day after the start of the IPL was suspended from March 29 to April 15 by the BCCI, the franchise owners had a meeting before the event's Governing Council meet here. "Wonderful to meet all the Franchise owners 'off the field' so to say. The meeting by @Bcci and @ipl was to reiterate what all of us feel...safety first of the spectators, players management & cities we play in. All directives of the health agencies & govt to be followed..," Khan tweeted. "Hope the spread of the virus subsides & the show can go on. BCCI & team owners in consultation with the govt will keep a close watch & decide the way fwd in the health interest of ever1. Lovely 2 meet every1 & then sanitise ourselves repeatedly," he added. The IPL is expected to be held without .