Monday, February 16, 2026 | 08:15 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Page 37 - Maharashtra

Jalgaon train accident occurred due to fire rumour: Maha dy CM Ajit Pawar

After 13 people lost their lives in Jalgaon train accident, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Thursday said that the incident occurred after rumours of fire in the train which created panic among the travellers and as a result, people started jumping off the train and subsequently was hit by another speeding train.Pawar stated that the rumour was spread by two persons Udhal Kumar and Vijay Kumar, when they heard a tea seller shouting about a fire in the bogie after which both of them panicked and subsequently people started jumping off the train to save themselves.Speaking to reporters, Ajit Pawar said, "After the railway incident, the administration and other forces got active and started the relief & rescue operations... Udhal Kumar and Vijay Kumar from Shravasti were on the train... They were travelling in the general bogie and were sitting on the upper berth... One tea seller from the pantry shouted about a fire in the bogie, both of them heard that and ...

Jalgaon train accident occurred due to fire rumour: Maha dy CM Ajit Pawar
Updated On : 23 Jan 2025 | 11:36 AM IST

13 dead in Jalgaon train accident: 'I saw people getting hit', says witness

A tragic train accident in Jalgaon, Maharashtra, left 13 dead and many injured when passengers jumped off the Pushpak Express amid fire rumours, only to be hit by the Karnataka Express

13 dead in Jalgaon train accident: 'I saw people getting hit', says witness
Updated On : 23 Jan 2025 | 10:35 AM IST

Jalgaon train mishap: Toll rises to 13, ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh announced

The incident happened when passengers of the Pushpak Express had stepped outside their coaches due to a suspected fire on the train, and while outside Karnataka Express passed through adjacent track

Jalgaon train mishap: Toll rises to 13, ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh announced
Updated On : 23 Jan 2025 | 7:10 AM IST

Investment MOUs worth Rs 16 trillion signed in Davos, says CM Fadnavis

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Wednesday said his state has signed MOUs worth nearly Rs 16 lakh crore in Davos during the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting. The chief minister said these MOUs have been signed across various sectors and would help the state in achieving its goal of taking its GDP to USD 1 trillion. For India to become USD 5 trillion economy, Maharashtra has to become USD 1 trillion economy and we will achieve that target by 2030, Fadnavis told PTI in an interview here. Fadnavis said investors' confidence in policy continuity at Centre and in state as also their trust in Prime Minister Narendra Modi has led to this record level of investment commitments. He said the state government would track these MOUs to ensure their conversion into actual investments. Later, addressing a press conference along with other Indian leaders, he said it is important for all states to grow together for the country to grow further At the same conference, Telangana .

Investment MOUs worth Rs 16 trillion signed in Davos, says CM Fadnavis
Updated On : 23 Jan 2025 | 7:08 AM IST

Essar Renewables signs agreement to invest Rs 8,000 cr in Maharashtra

Company will invest in renewable energy capacity for state's green mobility initiative

Essar Renewables signs agreement to invest Rs 8,000 cr in Maharashtra
Updated On : 22 Jan 2025 | 11:55 PM IST

Mumbai hoarding collapse: Court refuses bail to accused businessman

A Mumbai court on Wednesday denied bail to businessman Arshad Khan, a key accused in the case pertaining to the collapse of a giant hoarding at suburban Ghatkopar that claimed 17 lives in May last year. Khan was on the run for nearly seven months and arrested from Lucknow in late December. The 42-year-old businessman's bail application was rejected by Additional Sessions Judge Sachin Pawar. A detailed court order was not available yet. In his plea, the businessman had said he was not even named in the FIR and subsequently falsely implicated in the case. Khan asserted he has no connection with Ego Media Pvt Ltd, the firm that installed the giant hoarding, or the Maharashtra government agency which gave the permissions for the billboard. "The allegations against the applicant (Khan) are that of colluding with the commissioner of police to obtain the necessary permissions to erect the hoarding. But the investigating agency has not made any of the commissioners as accused in the ...

Mumbai hoarding collapse: Court refuses bail to accused businessman
Updated On : 22 Jan 2025 | 10:43 PM IST

Maha transport authority to meet after 30 months, may clear MSRTC fare hike

The State Transport Authority in Maharashtra will meet after a long hiatus of 30 months Thursday and may approve the MSRTC's proposal to hike the passenger fare by 14 to 15 per cent, officials said. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation had sought the hike in fare under an automatic fare revision formula (AFRF) to mitigate the daily loss of Rs 2 to 3 crore. This proposal was sent to STA for approval last year. Buses operated by MSRTC travel across the length and breadth of Maharashtra with over 55 lakh passengers travelling daily. The 15,000-bus fleet being operated by MSRTC is considered the largest in India. An official said on Wednesday that the STA, chaired by the state transport secretary, had approved a 17.17 per cent fare hike for MSRTC-operated buses under the AFRF in its last meeting in 2022, following which the existing fare structure came into force on October 26 that year. The STA is mandated to conduct at least two meetings in a year under section 60 of the

Maha transport authority to meet after 30 months, may clear MSRTC fare hike
Updated On : 22 Jan 2025 | 9:12 PM IST

At least 12 dead as passengers fleeing fire rumour hit by train in Jalgaon

At least 10 train passengers were killed after stepping down due to a rumour of fire and being run over by another train passing on the adjacent tracks in North Maharashtra's Jalgaon district on Wednesday evening, officials said. While Maharashtra minister Girish Mahajan said 10-12 persons were killed as per the district collector, Union minister Raksha Khadse, who hails from the district, said the death toll could be as high as 40 according to her information. The accident took place between Maheji and Pardhade stations near Pachora, more than 400 km from Mumbai, where the Lucknow-Mumbai Pushpak Express had halted after someone pulled the chain due to a rumour of fire around 5 pm, Central Railway officials said, without confirming the death toll. Some passengers of Pushpak Express stepped down, and were hit by the oncoming Karnataka Express heading from Bengaluru to Delhi, said Central Railway's chief spokesperson Swapnil Nila. Visuals from the accident spot showed a few bodies an

At least 12 dead as passengers fleeing fire rumour hit by train in Jalgaon
Updated On : 22 Jan 2025 | 7:47 PM IST

Blue Energy to invest Rs 3,500 cr to set up Maharashtra electric truck unit

LNG-powered truck maker Blue Energy Motors on Wednesday said it plans to invest Rs 3,500-crore for setting up an electric trucks production plant in Maharashtra to fuel the state's green energy transition. Under the terms of an initial pact, announced at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Blue Energy Motors will establish a dedicated facility for advanced electric (EV) trucks that will house advanced R&D capabilities, battery-pack line, motor manufacturing unit and set up charging stations as well, the company said. The proposed projects are slated to commence in the next financial year, Blue Energy Motors said. This investment, according to the company, is expected to generate direct employment for over 4,000 people. "Our investment will not only reaffirm Maharashtra's position as a global hub for advanced clean mobility solutions but also will contribute to job creation and economic growth," said Anirudh Bhuwalka, CEO of Blue Energy Motors. The new inter-connected facility will

Blue Energy to invest Rs 3,500 cr to set up Maharashtra electric truck unit
Updated On : 22 Jan 2025 | 12:41 PM IST

JSW Group signs MoU with Maharashtra to invest Rs 3 trillion in state

Diversified JSW Group on Tuesday announced plans to invest Rs 3 lakh crore across its businesses, in three regions of Maharashtra, including naxal-infested Gadchiroli. The conglomerate signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Maharashtra government on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum (WEF) here. The commitment from JSW is a significant step in fulfilling the state's vision to develop Gadchiroli as the 'steel city' of India, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, adding that the announcement is a clear testament to their confidence in the state's potential. "I am confident that this collaboration will further strengthen Maharashtra's position as an industrial and economic powerhouse, driving innovation, job creation, and long-term prosperity for our people," the chief minister added. JSW Group Chairman Sajjan Jindal said the state has been pivotal to JSW Group's journey of growth and innovation. "This investment will not only boost industrial development but als

JSW Group signs MoU with Maharashtra to invest Rs 3 trillion in state
Updated On : 21 Jan 2025 | 9:40 PM IST

Maharashtra working with 360-degree approach on investments: CM Fadnavis

Maharashtra has adopted a 360-degree approach in attracting investments with several focus sectors ranging from manufacturing to technology to data centres to healthcare to clean energy, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said here. Fadnavis, who arrived in this ski resort town to attend the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, told PTI that he has several meetings lined up with potential for fruitful results in terms of investments in his state. "I started my Davos visit with a meeting with World Economic Forum Founder and Chairman Klaus Schwab where we discussed collaboration between WEF and Maharashtra," he said. "We also discussed clean energy, electric vehicles and several other new-age industries. I'm holding a number of bilateral meetings here, including for potential investments in Maharashtra," he said. Fadnavis also inaugurated the Maharashtra pavilion which will host several potential and existing investors in the state. He was also present for the inauguration of one of

Maharashtra working with 360-degree approach on investments: CM Fadnavis
Updated On : 21 Jan 2025 | 11:36 AM IST

E10 bullet train to debut in India and Japan simultaneously in 2030

The Shinkansen E5, with a top speed of 320 km/hr, was India's earlier plan. However, the transition to E10 model offers a more advanced version with a top speed of 400 km/hr, enhancing speed & safety

E10 bullet train to debut in India and Japan simultaneously in 2030
Updated On : 21 Jan 2025 | 11:16 AM IST

Maharashtra CM Fadnavis orders to make forts encroachment-free by May 31

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has ordered a crackdown on encroachments at forts across the state, aiming to remove illegal structures by May 31, an official said on Tuesday. The district collectors have been asked to prepare fort-wise lists of encroachments by January 31, the official said. The chief minister has said that to ensure a systematic approach, district-level committees under the chairmanship of collectors will be formed, and these will oversee the phased removal of encroachments from February 1 to May 31. He said the government will also set up vigilance committees to prevent future encroachments. "Public demand for decisive action had been growing, and the government has responded accordingly," Fadnavis said. Maharashtra is home to 47 forts that are centrally protected, 62 state-protected, and approximately 300 unprotected forts. The initiative aims to preserve the historical and aesthetic significance of these cultural landmarks. On Monday, the state

Maharashtra CM Fadnavis orders to make forts encroachment-free by May 31
Updated On : 21 Jan 2025 | 10:37 AM IST

Mahayuti's appointment of guardian ministers shows rift in alliance: Raut

Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sanjay Raut on Monday alleged that the Mahayuti government's handling of the appointment of guardian minister was a sign of internal discord in the alliance. The state government on Saturday announced guardian ministers for 36 districts of the state, but a day later, issued an order to stay the appointments for Nashik and Raigad. NCP's Aditi Tatkare was appointed as the guardian minister for Raigad, while BJP leader Girish Mahajan was given the responsibility of Nashik. Talking to reporters, Raut said, "The government is failing to manage its internal conflicts. (Deputy Chief Minister) Eknath Shinde's anger over the allocation of guardian ministers is clear, and his authority is being questioned." The Rajya Sabha MP was reacting to reports of Eknath Shinde's dissatisfaction over the appointments for Raigad and Nashik. He also hinted that state Industries Minister and Shiv Sena leader Uday Samant might be groomed as a possible replacement for Shinde. Accordi

Mahayuti's appointment of guardian ministers shows rift in alliance: Raut
Updated On : 20 Jan 2025 | 2:45 PM IST

Badlapur sexual assault case: 5 cops found responsible for custodial death

A magistrate's inquiry has held five policemen responsible for the custodial death of Akshay Shinde, accused in the Badlapur school sexual assault case. The magistrate on Monday tendered its inquiry report to the Bombay High Court, which was hearing a plea filed by Shinde's father, Anna Shinde, claiming his son was killed by the police in a fake encounter. Akshay Shinde (24) was arrested in August 2024 for allegedly sexually assaulting two minor girls inside the toilet of a school in Badlapur. He was an attendant at the school. In September, Shinde was killed in an alleged police shootout while being taken from the Taloja prison for questioning. The police claimed he snatched the gun of one of the police personnel in the police van, opened fire, and was killed in retaliatory firing. Under the law, a magistrate inquiry is initiated in cases where an accused dies in police custody. A division bench of Justices Revati Mohite Dere and Neela Gokhale perused the report. The bench said

Badlapur sexual assault case: 5 cops found responsible for custodial death
Updated On : 20 Jan 2025 | 1:05 PM IST

As Mumbai Marathon turns 20, a plethora of brands dash to the finish line

The Full Marathon that comprises 42km, will transverse through the city's major landmarks -from the Gateway of India to the shimmering waves of Marine Drive and the Bandra-Worli Sea Link

Image
Updated On : 19 Jan 2025 | 11:27 PM IST

Maharashtra to UP, states draw battle lines to woo investors in Davos

Not only that, CMs like Devendra Fadnavis, Chandrababu Naidu, and Revanth Reddy are also expected to hard-sell their states at the grand venue

Maharashtra to UP, states draw battle lines to woo investors in Davos
Updated On : 19 Jan 2025 | 8:46 PM IST

Ajit Pawar may have taken up Beed guardian ministership, says Jayant Patil

Maharashtra NCP (SP) president Jayant Patil on Sunday said that Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar may have preferred to take up the guardian ministership of Beed district considering the prevailing situation in the aftermath of a sarpanch's murder. Ministers in Maharashtra are given responsibility for one or more districts. As per a list released by the state government, Pawar has been allotted Beed district in addition to Pune, his home district. Talking to reporters here, Patil said there was no point in criticising the appointment of guardian ministers, and people now have to see how they perform. He said the situation in Beed is complicated, so Ajit Pawar may have preferred to go there. Minister Dhananjay Munde, MLA from Parali in Beed, was the guardian minister of this central Maharashtra district in the previous government. But he has been in the eye of the storm over the brutal murder of sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh in the district. Walmik Karad, Munde's associate, has been ...

Ajit Pawar may have taken up Beed guardian ministership, says Jayant Patil
Updated On : 19 Jan 2025 | 10:15 AM IST

National Startup Day: Fadnavis inks MoU with SIDBI to create 100 cr fund

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the SIDBI (Small Industries Development Bank of India) to establish a Rs 100 crore fund."We have signed an MOU with SIDBI. Earlier, funds which were managed at Mumbai. Now, a 30 crore fund will be available at every divisional centre," he said.He was speaking at the National Startup Day program under the Department of Skill, Employment, Entrepreneurship & Innovation organised by Maharashtra State Innovation Society in Mumbai.The event was themed 'Empowering Innovation, Elevating Maharashtra'. The event saw participation from 1,000 start-ups in technology, agriculture, service industries, pharmaceuticals, and tourism from across the nation.He further said that more than 300 Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) and startups, who have successfully created their space in the defence manufacturing sector, were created by the Maharashtra government."In Maharashtra, we were ...

National Startup Day: Fadnavis inks MoU with SIDBI to create 100 cr fund
Updated On : 17 Jan 2025 | 7:05 AM IST

Maharashtra targets MOUs worth Rs 7 trn at WEF, CM to lead delegation

The Maharashtra government has set a target of signing Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 7 lakh crore at the upcoming annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos in Switzerland, a senior official from the state Industries Department said on Thursday. In 2023, Maharashtra signed MoUs worth Rs 1.37 lakh crore, while in 2024, MoUs worth Rs 3.53 lakh crore were signed, he pointed out. "Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu are the two states in the country with the highest conversion rate of MoUs. This time we have raised the bar and plan to achieve an 80 to 85 per cent conversion rate," he said. The WEF meeting will be held from January 20 to January 24, and the Maharashtra delegation will be led by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. The Maharashtra government has also set a deadline of March 31 to execute the maximum number of MoUs, he said. The industries department reviewed the outcomes of the last two WEF meetings and the challenges faced while converting MoUs into ...

Maharashtra targets MOUs worth Rs 7 trn at WEF, CM to lead delegation
Updated On : 17 Jan 2025 | 6:35 AM IST