Mizoram is waiting for a relief package sought from the Centre for over 12,000 internally displaced people from ethnic violence-hit Manipur, a senior home department official said on Monday. The Mizo National Front (MNF) government, headed by Chief Minister Zoramthanga, had in May sought Rs 10 crore as a relief package for those displaced people. Mizoram Home Commissioner and Secretary H Lalengmawia said that Tourism Minister Robert Romawia and some officials, including him, met the Union home secretary and the additional secretary in Delhi recently and urged him to release the package at the earliest. "Even though the response of the home secretary and the additional secretary was positive during the meeting, we have not received any word from the Centre regarding the relief package till today," he told PTI. The home department handles the displaced people from Manipur and those who had taken refuge in the state from Myanmar and Bangladesh. Lalengmawia said that the home departm
AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi on Monday took a jibe at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying he hoped his foreign trip would give him enough courage to "break his silence" on the Manipur crisis and Chinese incursions. In a tweet, he said, "Let's hope the foreign trip by Modiji will give him enough courage to mention China now by name instead of succumbing to its bullying. And also break his silence on Manipur which continues to burn for nearly eight weeks now." "More than 4000 weapons have been taken from state armories in Manipur and not one head has rolled. Let alone Kashmir, imagine a fraction of this happening in any opposition ruled state and the orchestrated outrage from our media. New India after all," he said. Targeting the NDA government, the AIMIM leader claimed that there are more ministers who are willing to attack a former US president than there are willing to name China. "Is anyone surprised that more ministers in @PMOIndia government are willing to attack a former
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh said that Union Home Minister Amit Shah has expressed concern over the changing nature of violence in the northeastern state. The union home minister is reportedly concerned over the shifting of violence and civil unrest from peripheral areas to districts in the Imphal valley. "The changing nature of violence from exchange of fire in the peripheral areas to the civil unrest in the valley districts has become a matter of concern for Amit Shah ji," the chief minister told reporters here after his return from New Delhi late on Sunday night. Singh briefed Shah in New Delhi about the "evolving situation" in Manipur and said the state and central governments have been able to control the violence to a "great extent". "Shah raised issues such as the attacks on the house of Union Minister of State for External Affairs RK Ranjan Singh and the residence of state minister Sushindro Meitei, the ongoing arson and destruction of government properties and the
Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge on Monday questioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi's silence on the Manipur violence and said the first thing he should do is sack Chief Minister N Biren Singh if he is really concerned about the state. No amount of "propaganda" by the BJP-led government can cover up its "abject failure" in handling the Manipur situation, Kharge said. He said reports indicate that Union Home Minister Amit Shah has finally spoken to Modi on the situation in the northeastern state and added, "For the last 55 days, Modiji did not say a word on Manipur. Every Indian is waiting for him to speak." "If Modiji is really concerned about Manipur, then the first thing he should do is sack his chief minister," Kharge said on Twitter. More than 100 people have so far lost their lives in the ethnic violence between the Meitei and Kuki communities in Manipur. Kharge said, "No amount of propaganda by the BJP and Modi government can cover up their abject failures in dealing wit
People prayed for the restoration of peace and tranquillity in Manipur during a candlelight march in Kohima on June 25. More than 120 people have died in the violence so far
Congress chief Mallikarjun Kharge on Monday questioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi's silence on the Manipur violence and said the first thing he should do is sack Chief Minister N Biren Singh if he is really concerned about the state. No amount of propaganda by the BJP government can cover up its abject failure in handling the Manipur situation, Kharge said. He said reports indicated Union Home Minister Amit Shah had finally spoken to Modi on the Manipur situation, and added, "For the last 55 days, Modi ji did not say a word on Manipur. Every Indian is waiting for him to speak." "If Modi ji is really concerned about Manipur, then the first thing he should do is to sack his chief minister," he said on Twitter. More than 100 people have lost their lives in the ethnic violence between the Meitei and the Kuki communities in Manipur so far. Kharge went on to add, "No amount of propaganda by the BJP and Modi government can cover up their abject failures in dealing with (the) Manipur ..
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh said that Union Home Minister Amit Shah has expressed concern over changing nature of violence in the northeastern state. The union home minister is reportedly concerned over the shifting of violence and civil unrest from peripheral areas to districts in the Imphal valley. "The changing nature of violence from the exchange of fire in the peripheral areas to the civil unrest in the valley districts has become a matter of concern for Amit Shah ji," the chief minister told reporters here after his return from New Delhi late on Sunday night. Singh briefed Shah in New Delhi about the "evolving situation" in Manipur and said the state and central governments have been able to control the violence to a "great extent". "Shah raised issues such as the attacks on the house of Union Minister of State for External Affairs RK Ranjan Singh and the residence of state minister Sushindro Meitei, the ongoing arson and destruction of government properties and ...
The Manipur police said that the situation is tense but under control in some places with some sporadic incidents but normal in most districts of the state
Shah said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been constantly monitoring the situation in Manipur since day one and guiding us with full sensitivity to find a solution to this problem
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh met Union Home Minister Amit Shah here on Sunday and briefed him about the prevailing situation in the northeastern state, sources said. Singh, who arrived in the national capital from Imphal this morning, went to meet Shah at his residence. The chief minister briefed the home minister about the current situation in Manipur and the steps taken to bring bring back normalcy there, sources said. This come a day after the home minister chaired an all-party meeting here over the Manipur situation. Eighteen political parties, four MPs from the northeast and two chief ministers from the region attended the three-hour-long meeting. The home minister told the all-party meeting that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been monitoring the situation in violence-hit state since day one and "guiding us with full sensitivity" to find a solution to the problem. Shah told the meeting the situation in Manipur was slowly returning to normal and not a single person
I think that Rajnath Singh has received the wrong information about Punjab. In Punjab the law and order situation has improved under the AAP-Bhagwant Mann government, Chadha said
Sangma made the appeal at a meeting called by Union Home Minister, Amit Shah, to address the concerning situation in Manipur
The search operation was carried out acting on specific intelligence, in village Itham (06 km East of Andro) in Imphal East district on June 24. The forces seized arms, ammunition and war-like stores
Business Standard brings you the latest headlines at this hour
After a stand-off between a mob led by women and security forces that had cordoned off Itham village in Imphal East where a dozen members of militant group KYKL were hiding, the Army took "a mature decision" to not risk civilian lives and left with seized weapons and ammunition, officials said on Sunday. The Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL), a Meitei militant group, was involved in a number of attacks, including the ambush of a 6 Dogra unit in 2015, they said. The stand-off in Itham went on throughout Saturday, and ended after a "mature decision by the operational commander keeping in view the sensitivity of use of kinetic force against large irate mob led by women and likely casualties due to such action", they added. Among those holed up in the village was self-styled Lt Col Moirangthem Tamba alias Uttam, a wanted terrorist who may have been the mastermind of the Dogra ambush tragedy, officials said. The 1,500-strong mob led by women surrounded the Army column and prevented forces
Catch all the latest updates from across the globe here
Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh said on Saturday that bunkers set up along national highways by vigilante groups have been cleared and warned of stern action against these groups if they continued to use arms in the name of defending their villages. After visiting a relief camp for pregnant women at Khuman Lampak in state capital Imphal, the Chief Minister told reporters that "no one can presume the districts as separate states as Manipur exists entirely as one entity. Biren said the perpetrators of the June 21 IED explosion have been identified and the case has been handed over to the NIA. Terming the incident as a cowardly act, he said NIA agents have reached the state and have begun investigating." The explosion at Kwakta in Bishnupur district had left two teenagers and a 7-year-old boy injured. "The government will no longer remain a silent spectator to law breakers," Biren said, adding "instances of firing are being dealt with firmly by both the state and central ...
The Congress on Saturday said peace in violence-hit Manipur is not possible under Chief Minister N Biren Singh and demanded that the prime minister replaces him immediately. Presenting an eight-point charter of demands on behalf of the Congress at an all-party meeting convened by Home Minister Amit Shah in Parliament building, former chief minister of Manipur Okram Ibobi Singh said it was unfortunate that he was not allowed more time to put across his views towards the end of the meeting. Singh, who represented the Congress, said the meeting should have been chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi "who has not said a single word on Manipur in the past 50 days". "This all-party meeting would have been better had it been chaired by the prime minister and held in Imphal. This would have sent a clear message to the people of Manipur that their pain and distress are also a matter of national anguish," he said, while demanding that all rebel groups must be disarmed immediately without any
All efforts are being made to restore peace in Manipur on instructions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah told an all-party meeting held on Saturday to discuss the prevailing situations in the northeastern state. Shah also told the meeting that since the violence began in the state, there has "not been a single day" when he did not speak to Prime Minister Modi on the situation or the prime minister did not give instructions, the BJP's Manipur in-charge Sambit Patra told reporters after the meeting. The opposition parties have been critical of the Centre's handling of the Manipur situation and have questioned the prime minister's "silence" on the issue. Nearly 120 people lost their lives and over 3,000 have been injured since the ethnic violence broke out in the state. In his statement at the meeting, Amit Shah ji said it very clearly that there was not a single day when he did not speak to the prime minister since the violence began on May 3. "Efforts to rest
With Union Home Minister Amit Shah holding an all-party meeting on the Manipur situation on Saturday, the Trinamool Congress demanded an all-party delegation be sent to the violence-hit state within a week as it wondered if the the government was "trying to turn Manipur into Kashmir". In a statement for the all-party meeting, in which the TMC was represented by its Rajya Sabha MP Derek O'Brien, the Mamata Banerjee-led party accused the Centre "ignoring" the needs of the people of Manipur. Derek O'Brien, sources said, is likely to read part of the statement in the meeting. Leaders of different political parties, including the BJP, Congress, TMC, Left parties and others, are taking part in the meeting which is underway. In the statement, the TMC tabulated a timeline of the violence in the state, highlighting the story of a seven-year-old boy who was allegedly burned to death with his mother and aunt while on his way to a hospital with a bullet wound. "This is one story," the TMC said