Schools will resume normal classes in violence-hit Manipur from July 1 instead of June 21 as announced earlier, officials said on Tuesday
The prolonged strife in Manipur has resulted in a distressing situation for numerous students from the state residing in the national capital
A Christian organisation based out of Kerala on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi demanding imposition of President's rule in ethnic violence-hit Manipur
Manipur skipped annual Rath Yatra procession with chariots, which has been a public festival for 200 years, in view of the ongoing ethnic violence, which has so far claimed more than 120 lives
The Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) is looking into transactions above Rs 20 lakh from January 1 onwards to check if they are linked to the violent ethnic clashes in Manipur
Manipur HC, in an interim order, directed state authorities to provide limited internet services to the public in some designated places under the control of the state authorities, sources said
The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to hear the interlocutory application (IA) filed by the Manipur Tribal Forum alleging that even after the Centre's assurances to this court
Amid the violence in Manipur, Chief Minister N Biren Singh appealed to the people to maintain peace and urged those with arms not to attack so that normalcy can be restored."I appeal to the people who are with arms not to attack anything. Please maintain peace so that we can resource normalcy in the state....," said N Biren Singh while talking to reporters.Earlier on Monday, CM N Biren Singh visited some relief camps in the state and said that the state government is soon going to construct pre-fabricated houses to accommodate the people temporarily."I visited some relief camps and people are suffering. State Government is going to construct pre-fabricated houses to accommodate them temporarily," Manipur CM said."Around 3000-4000, houses will be constructed...We are looking for the place where the construction can be done," he further stated.On the intervening night of June 18-19, an Indian Army soldier was injured after armed miscreants resorted to unprovoked firing from Kanto Sabal .
Congress has launched a fresh political attack against the BJP govt over the violence in Manipur, saying the people had completely lost faith in the administration and the saffron party was not united
The violence, which broke out since May 3, so far has claimed 120 lives and injured around 400 people of different communities
The Congress on Monday stepped up its attack on the government over the situation in violence-hit Manipur, saying "every passing day of neglect" confirms the belief that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP are interested in prolonging the conflict. The Congress' attack came a day after it demanded that an all-party delegation be allowed to visit the state. In a tweet, Congress general secretary (organisation) K C Venugopal said, "Manipur is burning since 49 days. On Day 50, will PM @narendramodi fly away to foreign lands, without uttering a single word on the ongoing crisis?" "Hundreds dead, thousands rendered homeless, countless churches and places of worship destroyed, and a state administration that is part of the problem, not the solution. To make matters even worse, the violence is now spreading to Mizoram as well," the Congress leader said on Twitter. Since the last many days, Manipuri leaders have been seeking time from Prime Minister Modi to ensure his intervention, ..
An Army soldier sustained gunshot wounds in his left leg after miscreants resorted to unprovoked firing in Manipur's Imphal West district around 11.45pm on Sunday. According to sources, the soldier was evacuated to the military hospital at Leimakhong and is said to be stable. Sources said the incident took place at Kanto Sabal village adjoining Leimakhong (Chingmang). Soon after the incident, Army Columns resorted to controlled retaliatory fire keeping in view presence of villagers in the area. During the incident, miscreants also set three houses on fire in Chinmang village. The fire was later doused by the Army. After a couple of hours of calm, unprovoked firing started again from Meitei Village of Kanto Sabal around 2.35am and continued till 3am, sources added.
The Congress on Monday once again questioned Prime Minister Narendra Modi's silence on violence in Manipur, asking him when will the self-styled 'Vishwaguru' listen to 'Manipur Ki Baat'
Catch all the latest updates from across the globe here
Shiv Sena (UBT) president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday criticised Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his scheduled visit to the US, and asked why he was going abroad instead of visiting Manipur to resolve the crisis in the violence-hit north-eastern state. Addressing a state-level convention of his party, the first since the rebellion split Shiv Sena last year, he also dared the Bharatiya Janata Party-led central government to implement the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) in the country. "One part of our country is in the grip of violence and Modi hasn't gone there or taken steps to resolve the crisis, but is going to America," Thackeray said. The PM will be going on a state visit to the US and Egypt from June 20 to 25. Thackeray alleged that there have been claims that PM Modi stopped the Russia-Ukraine war. "So Modi should stop the violence in Manipur and restore peace and then we will believe these claims," he added. More than 100 people have lost their lives in the ethnic violence ...
The Indian Army conducted a flag march in the violence-affected area in Imphal Valley.Meanwhile, authorities in Imphal East district on Saturday decided to relax curfew hours from 5 am to 5 PM on Sunday, June 18 in order to facilitate the general public to purchase essential items including medicines and food items.As per the circular issued by the district magistrate, Imphal East, Khumanthem Diana Devi, "Total public curfew under Section 144 CrPC, 1973 prohibiting the movement of any person outside their respective residences imposed in Imphal East District vide this Office Order dated 3rd May 2023 is hereby relaxed from 5 AM to 5 PM on 18th June 2023 except for the area for which the schedule is given below in order to facilitate the general public to purchase essential items including medicines and food supplies".The areas where the curfew will be relaxed include the Hatta crossing to the RDS crossing, the Imphal River from Sanjenthong to Minuthong, Minuthong to Hatta crossing, and
Catch all the latest updates from across the globe here
"Law and order condition in Manipur is a total failure. The existing government could not maintain peace that's why the centre has sent a lot of protections and Rapid Action Force," said MoS Singh
"The confusion in handling Manipur is best described in the statements of ruling BJP's CM and our Army General's perception of why is Manipur burning?" he added
Two civilians were injured as mobs clashed with security forces overnight in Imphal town and attempts were made to torch the houses of BJP leaders, officials said on Saturday. In separate incidents, automatic gunfire was reported from Kwakta in Bishnupur district of Manipur and Kangvai in Churachandpur district through the night. An attempt was also made to loot of Iringbam police station in Imphal West. However, no weapons were stolen. Army, Assam Rifles and Manipur Rapid Action Force held joint marches till midnight through the state capital to halt rioters from congregating. A mob of approximately 1,000 people came together to try and burn down buildings near the palace compound. RAF fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd. Another mob tried to set the house of Biswajeet, MLA on fire. RAF column, however, dispersed the crowd. Another mob surrounded the BJP office post midnight at Sinjemai, but could not do any harm as an Army column dispersed it. Similarly,