Friday, May 15, 2026 | 04:23 AM ISTहिंदी में पढें
Business Standard
Notification Icon
userprofile IconSearch

Mea

Indian-flagged vessel sinks off Oman coast after attack; crew members safe

India termed the attack on its vessel in the Gulf of Oman "unacceptable" after the ship caught fire and sank, while all 14 crew members were rescued safely

Indian-flagged vessel sinks off Oman coast after attack; crew members safe
Updated On : 14 May 2026 | 11:11 PM IST

India seeks Bangladesh cooperation in repatriating illegal migrants

India urged Bangladesh to expedite nationality verification of its citizens living illegally in India to facilitate smoother repatriation under bilateral arrangements

India seeks Bangladesh cooperation in repatriating illegal migrants
Updated On : 07 May 2026 | 11:18 PM IST

India has every right to defend itself against cross-border terrorism: MEA

India on Thursday reiterated its right to defend itself against Pakistan-backed cross-border terrorist activities and vowed to strengthen the global fight against terrorism. New Delhi's firm message came on the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor. "We are marking the first anniversary of Op Sindoor today. The entire world saw the Pahalgam terrorist attack for what it was. We gave a befitting reply to Pakistan for its sponsorship of cross-border terrorism," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said. "The world knows that cross-border terrorism has long been an instrument of state policy for Pakistan. We in India have every right to defend ourselves against terrorism," he said at his weekly media briefing. Jaiswal said India will continue to work to strengthen the global fight against terrorism. In response to the Pahalgam terror attack, India launched Operation Sindoor on May 7 last year carrying out airstrikes on nine terror infrastructures in Pakistan and ...

India has every right to defend itself against cross-border terrorism: MEA
Updated On : 07 May 2026 | 5:03 PM IST

Kailash Mansarovar Yatra: India rejects Nepal's claim over Lipulekh Pass

India on Sunday firmly rejected Nepal's objection to the upcoming Kailash Mansarovar Yatra via the long-established Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand, dismissing Kathmandu's territorial claims over the region as an "unilateral artificial enlargement" that New Delhi finds "untenable". New Delhi's sharp reaction came hours after the Nepal foreign ministry issued a statement taking strong objection to India and China making preparations for the annual pilgrimage via Lipulekh Pass without consulting Kathmandu claiming the region belongs to it. Last week, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) announced the annual Kailash Mansarovar Yatra will take place from June to August via two routes -- Lipulekh Pass and Nathu La in Sikkim. Subsequently, China said it is also making preparations for the pilgrimage. The pilgrimage to Mount Kailash and Mansarovar Lake in China's Tibet Autonomous Region holds religious significance to Hindus as well as Jains and Buddhists. The Yatra was resumed last year ..

Kailash Mansarovar Yatra: India rejects Nepal's claim over Lipulekh Pass
Updated On : 04 May 2026 | 1:25 AM IST

Trade talks with US remain constructive after Washington visit: MEA

The comments followed a three-day ​visit to Washington by an Indian trade delegation led by senior commerce ministry official ‌Darpan Jain for talks with US counterparts

Trade talks with US remain constructive after Washington visit: MEA
Updated On : 24 Apr 2026 | 7:01 AM IST

'Inappropriate, in poor taste': MEA on Trump's 'hell-hole' post for India

After the post sparked outrage, Christopher Elms, spokesperson for the US Embassy in New Delhi, said Trump had spoken warmly of India and called it a great nation

'Inappropriate, in poor taste': MEA on Trump's 'hell-hole' post for India
Updated On : 23 Apr 2026 | 11:04 PM IST

India welcomes truce between US and Iran, calls for dialogue and diplomacy

India backs ceasefire and calls for de-escalation as Jaishankar plans UAE visit to discuss energy supplies, trade and regional developments

India welcomes truce between US and Iran, calls for dialogue and diplomacy
Updated On : 09 Apr 2026 | 12:08 AM IST

Over 1,700 Indians exit Iran via land borders amid West Asia conflict: MEA

Over 1,700 Indian nationals have left Iran through land border crossings in Armenia and Azerbaijan since the start of the West Asia conflict over a month ago, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Monday. "Our embassy in Tehran has so far facilitated the movement of 1,777 Indian nationals to exit Iran through Armenia and Azerbaijan," MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said at a media briefing. The Indian nationals are flying back home from Armenia and Azerbaijan. Jaiswal said the Indians who returned home included 895 students and 345 fishermen. "The Indian fishermen were employed by various companies in Iran and they flew home from Armenia on March 4," he said.

Over 1,700 Indians exit Iran via land borders amid West Asia conflict: MEA
Updated On : 06 Apr 2026 | 9:52 PM IST

Govt examining request from Bangladesh for supply of diesel, says MEA

The inputs were shared by the Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Randhir Jaiwal during a weekly presser

Govt examining request from Bangladesh for supply of diesel, says MEA
Updated On : 03 Apr 2026 | 7:28 AM IST

Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri attends UK-led meet on reopening Hormuz

No talks with Iran on payments for Indian ships to transit via Hormuz: MEA

Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri attends UK-led meet on reopening Hormuz
Updated On : 02 Apr 2026 | 11:58 PM IST

West Asia conflict: 8 Indian lives lost in 'various incidents', says MEA

Amid the escalating West Asia conflict, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Monday said eight Indian nationals have lost their lives while one remains missing in "various incidents" in the region. At an inter-ministerial briefing here on the West Asia situation, Additional Secretary (Gulf), MEA, Aseem R Mahajan, also said, "Yesterday, an Indian national unfortunately lost his life in an attack in Kuwait." However, he did not elaborate upon the circumstances of this death. "We express our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased. Our Mission in Kuwait is in touch with the family of the deceased and is coordinating closely with the local authorities to render all support and for early return of his mortal remains to India," he said. On March 20, at an inter-ministerial briefing on the West Asia situation, Mahajan had told reporters that six Indian nationals had lost their lives while one remained missing in "various incidents". On Monday, he shared an update, saying,

West Asia conflict: 8 Indian lives lost in 'various incidents', says MEA
Updated On : 30 Mar 2026 | 6:32 PM IST

'Deeply disturbing': India on attacks on West Asia gas facilities

As fresh attacks on West Asian gas hubs triggered fresh concerns, India on Thursday said such strikes are "unacceptable and need to cease". New Delhi described the attacks as "deeply disturbing" and that they only serve to further destabilise an already uncertain energy scenario globally. Iran targeted several energy infrastructure in West Asia including Qatar's LNG (liquefied natural gas) hub of Ras Laffan in retaliation to Israel's strikes on Iran's South Pars gas fields. "India had previously called for the avoidance of targeting civilian infrastructure, including energy infrastructure, across the region," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said. "The recent attacks against energy installations in different locations across this region are therefore deeply disturbing and only serve to further destabilise an already uncertain energy scenario for the whole world," he said. "Such attacks are unacceptable and need to cease," Jaiswal said.

'Deeply disturbing': India on attacks on West Asia gas facilities
Updated On : 19 Mar 2026 | 7:08 PM IST

West Asia situation is a testing time for global community, says MEA

Recent attacks against energy installations in different locations across West Asia are deeply disturbing, MEA added

West Asia situation is a testing time for global community, says MEA
Updated On : 19 Mar 2026 | 5:33 PM IST

About 260,000 passengers returned to India from West Asia since Feb 28: MEA

Amid the escalating West Asia conflict, the government on Wednesday said around 2.6 lakh people have returned from the region to India since February 28. At an inter-ministerial briefing here on the West Asia situation, Additional Secretary (Gulf), Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Aseem R Mahajan, said that on Wednesday, around 70 flights were expected to operate from various airports in the UAE to different destinations in India. The flight situation is "reassuring," he said. MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal spoke about a telephonic conversation between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on Tuesday. "The two leaders discussed the current situation in West Asia. The prime minister reiterated India's strong condemnation of all attacks on the UAE that have resulted in loss of innocent lives and damage to civilian infrastructure," he said. The two leaders agreed on the importance of "ensuring safe and free navigation through the Strai

About 260,000 passengers returned to India from West Asia since Feb 28: MEA
Updated On : 18 Mar 2026 | 6:36 PM IST

India has not discussed Hormuz ship transit with US bilaterally: MEA

India on Monday said it hasn't engaged in bilateral talks with the US to ensure safe transit of merchant vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. The remarks by the Ministry of External Affairs came against the backdrop of US President Donald Trump calling on several countries to send warships to keep the strategically key shipping route open. Global oil and gas prices have surged after Iran virtually blocked the Strait of Hormuz, a narrow shipping lane between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman that handles roughly 20 per cent of global oil and LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas). In a social media post, Trump hoped that China, France, Japan, South Korea, the UK and other countries affected by Iran's attempted closure of the Strait of Hormuz, will send warships to the region to keep the shipping route "safe and open". There has not been any concrete response by the leading countries. In its reaction, China called on all sides to immediately stop military operations in West Asia to help k

India has not discussed Hormuz ship transit with US bilaterally: MEA
Updated On : 16 Mar 2026 | 7:59 PM IST

India warns citizens in Iran not to cross borders without embassy clearance

India on Monday asked its citizens currently in Iran not to approach or attempt to cross any land border for onward travel without prior and explicit coordination with the Indian Embassy in Tehran. In an advisory, the Indian Embassy further said that Indian nationals who attempt to leave Iran via land borders without its knowledge and guidance are highly likely to encounter serious logistical and immigration difficulties. "...All Indian nationals currently in Iran are strictly advised not to approach or attempt to cross any land border of Iran for onward travel without prior and explicit coordination with the Embassy of India," the advisory said. It said the embassy will not be in a position to provide assistance once individuals move outside Iranian territory without prior coordination. "The Embassy is in regular contact with members of the Indian community, and coordinated arrangements are being undertaken wherever necessary. Uncoordinated movement toward land borders is strongly

India warns citizens in Iran not to cross borders without embassy clearance
Updated On : 16 Mar 2026 | 5:41 PM IST

India, Chile agree to boost ties in trade, investment, mineral exploration

India and Chile have agreed to boost cooperation in trade, investment, health and pharmaceuticals, science and technology and other sectors. Minister of State for External Affairs Kirti Vardhan Singh visited Chile from March 10-12, and represented the Government of India at the inauguration ceremony of new President of Chile, Jose Antonio Kast Rist, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Thursday. During the visit, Singh held a bilateral meeting with President Kast, and also interacted with outgoing president, Gabriel Boric Font. "During these meetings, the two sides agreed to further strengthen cooperation in key areas including trade, investment, health and pharmaceuticals, traditional medicines, science and technology, mining and mineral exploration, education, space, agriculture and people to people exchanges," the MEA said in a statement. The two sides also expressed satisfaction at the progress in the ongoing negotiations for a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement .

India, Chile agree to boost ties in trade, investment, mineral exploration
Updated On : 13 Mar 2026 | 7:31 AM IST

India examining requests from neighbours for energy supplies: MEA

Government says requests from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives for oil supplies are under review, with decisions to factor in India's refining capacity and domestic demand

India examining requests from neighbours for energy supplies: MEA
Updated On : 12 Mar 2026 | 7:17 PM IST

Two Indians dead, one missing after attacks on vessels in Gulf region: MEA

MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the incidents involved Indian nationals working on merchant ships and that authorities are monitoring the situation

Two Indians dead, one missing after attacks on vessels in Gulf region: MEA
Updated On : 11 Mar 2026 | 6:41 PM IST

MEA, EU hold state engagement program with Assam government on migration

The CDMM project is being implemented by the Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA), the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) and the International Labour Organisation (ILO)

Image
Updated On : 16 Feb 2026 | 6:21 PM IST