You are here: Home » Companies » Specials
Business Standard

DGCA asks SpiceJet not to take bookings beyond a month

Also asks company to make salary payments by 15 December and refund cancelled flights in a month

Sharmistha Mukherjee  |  New Delhi 

Concerned about the financial and operational performance of the Kalanithi Maran-promoted SpiceJet, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on Friday withdrew 186 flight slots of the airline and directed it not to take bookings for flights beyond a month.

After reviewing the financial and operational parameters of the budget carrier, Prabhat Kumar, Director General of Civil Aviation, issued a series of instructions to the airline. was directed to clear dues of about Rs 1,600 crore to various vendors and suppliers and to file a “convincing schedule” by December 15.

The regulator also directed the airline not to accept bookings for cancelled flights and refund all affected passengers within a month. “Till now, they have been accepting bookings for cancelled flights, too. We have instructed them not to do so,” said a senior official.

In a statement, Sanjiv Kapoor, the airline’s chief operating officer, said, “today informed the and the public that for the near-medium term, it intends to operate a fleet of 22 Boeing 737s and 15 Q400s, down from the 37 B737s we operated earlier this year. As a consequence of the fleet reduction of 15 Boeings, unused slots are given back to the airports.” On future bookings on cancelled flights, he said, “This has already been stopped as part of standard process.” He said no future bookings beyond a month would be “counter-productive”, adding, “provides refunds of all bookings for cancelled flights made directly with the airline.”

has cut its Boeing 737 fleet to 24 aircraft from 42 at the end of last year. The sharp cut had forced the airline to reduce its daily flights by about a third to 232, sources said. As of now, is operating 232 flights a day, compared with 340 a day in September. The airline has pulled out of cities such as Surat and Lucknow.

The has also directed to provide a report detailing the numbers of passengers affected by flight cancellations, as well as the subsequent refunds, daily. The airline has been asked to provide the first compliance report on Monday.

has said it will operate 22-24 Boeing 737 planes till mid-2015 and not take aircraft on short-term leases, as announced 15 days ago.

“The decision to shrink is part of our restructuring,” Kapoor had told Reuters on Friday. Barely a fortnight ago, he had said the airline would increase its Boeing 737 fleet to 35 by December-end. The airline was operating 26 of its 28 Boeing planes, he had added.

On the change in plans, Kapoor said. “Earlier, we had considered short-term leases to get the fleet back to the original size but our latest thinking is to operate a smaller Boeing fleet until at least mid-next year.” The airline maintains it is scaling down its fleet to control costs and consolidate operations. It is reported to have told the government it expects an investor in six weeks.

It has repeatedly denied lessors are taking back its aircraft. Earlier this week, media reports had said the Airports Authority of India (AAI) had withdrawn credit facilities to the airline and asked it to pay in advance before flying from any of its airports. Kapoor, however, said the AAI had reinstated its credit facility. “Clarifying once more, as news media continue to report wrongly: is categorically NOT on cash and carry with the AAI. @flyspicejet,” Kapoor tweeted on Friday.

On salaries to staff, the official quoted earlier said, “We have asked them to pay salaries for November by December 15. From January, they have been asked to make payments within the seventh of each month.”

The has also constituted a team to place aircraft under “heightened surveillance” to ensure safety isn’t compromised on account of the carrier’s financial troubles. The team will inspect aircraft flown by on a daily basis.

Of late, 115 commanders and 17 co-pilots have resigned from the airline. “We will keep a strict watch on the airline. We will ensure pilots working with the airline are not made to fly more than the hours specified in the flight-duty limitation norms due to shortage of commanders and co-pilots,” said another official.

On Thursday, Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju had said, “We are running through a lot of turbulent weather...not only the public sector, the private sector is also crashing…Kingfisher crashing and now, seems to be giving us heart attacks as far as airlines are concerned.”

For the September quarter, reported a loss of Rs 310 crore, its fifth consecutive quarterly loss. For the year-ago period, it had reported a loss of Rs 559 crore. In a recent report, the airline’s auditors had termed the ability of the airline to operate a “going concern”.

On Friday, the stock slumped 13.78 per cent to close at Rs 15.95 on BSE amid reports the AAI had decided to withdraw its credit facility to the low-cost carrier. Though the airline denied any such move on social media platform Twitter, it was yet to provide a clarification sought by BSE on the matter.

TROUBLES APLENTY
  • Nov 14: posts a Rs 310-crore second quarter loss; fifth consecutive quarterly loss
     
  • Nov 16: 40 pilots quit the airline
     
  • Nov 18: Airline scales down its Boeing 737 fleet from 38 to 28; cancels 40 flights.

    *Chief operating officer Sanjiv Kapoor says airline is close to finalising investor and will restore schedule by December
     
  • Nov 28: Ace investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala picks up 1.4% stake in SpiceJet, raising hopes of recapitalisation
     
  • Nov 30: Airline delays staff salaries by 1-3 days
     
  • Dec 3: Airports Authority of India issues letter, putting on cash-and-carry mode. Airline denies AAI action
     
  • Dec 4: Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajpathi Raju says giving him heart attacks
     
  • Dec 5: withdraws 186 slots; directs it not to book beyond a month

First Published: Sat, December 06 2014. 00:58 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU