Northeast Floods

4 people killed after flash flood in Arunachal; 5 Army personnel missing

Five Army personnel went missing after a flash flood triggered by heavy rainfall washed away two shelters in Arunachal Pradesh's Dibang Valley district, while four people died in a major landslide on a road construction site in Upper Subansiri district, officials said on Saturday. According to the State Emergency Operations Centre here, both incidents occurred on Friday evening. The landslide occurred at the Keojaring-Byaching road cutting site in Upper Subansiri district. While several people were buried under the debris, four people -- Tadu Baki, Taji Rai, Markosh Basumatari and Babul Ali -- were reported dead in the incident. The body of Babul Ali has been recovered, said the district disaster management officer of Upper Subansiri. Personnel from Nacho Police Station have been deployed for the search and recovery operation. Fire and Emergency Services personnel are also being mobilised from Daporijo, while a team of the State Disaster Response Force will assist in the operation

Updated On: 15 Aug 2026 | 2:00 PM IST

Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100 as rains cause widespread devastation

Among the hardest-hit areas, Cachar district has recorded 22 deaths, while Sivasagar has reported 49 fatalities

Updated On: 10 Aug 2026 | 9:04 AM IST

Assam floods: 9 dead, 166,000 affected across 304 villages in Jorhat

Floodwaters are gradually receding in Jorhat, where 166,000 people across 304 villages have been affected and nine deaths reported, even as Assam's overall flood toll rises to 99

Updated On: 09 Aug 2026 | 2:06 PM IST

Assam flood toll rises to 97, over 168k affected as situation remains grim

The flood situation in Assam remained critical as the toll rose to 97 with two more fatalities and over 1.68 lakh people across 15 districts were still affected by the deluge, officials said on Friday. The railway connectivity via Sivasagar district, which was disrupted for nearly a fortnight due to damage to the tracks by floodwaters, has been restored, Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) said. The two deaths were reported from Golaghat and Udalguri districts, taking the toll in this year's flood to 97 so far, the officials said. Golaghat, Sivasagar, Udalguri, Kamrup Metropolitan, Nagaon, Kamrup, Darrang, Sonitpur, Hojai, Lakhimpur, Biswanath, Jorhat, Charaideo, Karbi Anglong and Dhemaji districts were affected by the deluge. More than 1.68 lakh people were still reeling under floodwaters, with Golaghat being the worst-affected district with around 54,000 people hit, followed by Sivasagar (49,000) and Jorhat (27,000), the officials said. The number of affected people has increased f

Updated On: 07 Aug 2026 | 11:08 AM IST

Assam floods: Toll reaches 95 amid grim situation; 160K people affected

Fourteen districts and 1.6 lakh people were affected by floods in Assam while the death toll rose to 95 with six more deaths, officials said on Thursday. Six fatalities were reported on Wednesday -- two each from Sivasagar and Biswanath districts, and one each from Golaghat and Morigaon. The worst-hit Sivasagar alone has accounted for 50 deaths so far, while 21 people have lost their lives in another badly ravaged neighbouring district of Charaideo. The toll in Jorhat was nine, followed by five in Golaghat, three in Dhemaji, two each in Karbi Anglong and Biswanath, and one each in Sonitpur, Kamrup Metropolitan and Morigaon. More than 1,60,600 people remained affected in Biswanath, Charaideo, Darrang, Dhemaji, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup Metropolitan, Karbi Anglong, Lakhimpur, Nagaon, Sivasagar, Sonitpur, Tinsukia and Udalguri districts. Among these, Sivasagar accounted for 57,000 people affected, followed by Golaghat (34,000) and Jorhat (25,000). On Tuesday, the number of affected pe

Updated On: 06 Aug 2026 | 10:18 AM IST

Assam floods: Death toll rises to 82; nearly 193,000 people still affected

The toll in Assam floods rose to 82 as two more persons died, even as the number of affected people decreased to 1.92 lakh, an official bulletin said on Friday. The Assam Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) bulletin said one of the two fatalities due to the deluge was reported from Nazira revenue circle of Sivasagar district, while the other was from Sonari in Charaideo. With these fresh fatalities, the toll in this year's floods reached 82, it said, adding that no person was recorded as missing. The five districts of Sivasagar, Golaghat, Jorhat, Nagaon and Charaideo continued to reel under the deluge, with 17 revenue circles and 379 villages remaining affected. The number of affected people was at 1,92,799, with Charaideo remaining the worst-hit as 77,456 people were hit by the deluge, followed by Sivasagar (63,492) and Jorhat (34,067), the bulletin said. The flood situation has improved since Thursday, when more than two lakh people in eight districts were affected. A total o

Updated On: 01 Aug 2026 | 10:51 AM IST

Assam floods: Death toll climbs to 61 with 14 deaths in last 24 hours

Fourteen more people died in the past 24 hours, while over 705,000 people across 12 districts remain affected and more than 56,600 hectares of cropland are submerged

Updated On: 25 Jul 2026 | 10:13 AM IST

Floods claim 41 lives in Assam, rains trigger mass evacuations in Gujarat

Heavy rain in Gujarat has wreaked havoc in the state, while Assam floods have killed 41 people and affected more than 6.5 lakh people across 11 districts

Updated On: 23 Jul 2026 | 7:21 PM IST

Assam floods: 11 killed, over 310k affected as major rivers in spate

Over 3.6 lakh people were affected by floods in several districts of Assam as multiple agencies, including the Army, carried out relief and rescue operations, officials said on Tuesday. Train services remained affected for the second day on Tuesday as floodwaters inundated tracks in parts of Upper Assam, with the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) cancelling, short-terminating or diverting several trains and also announcing special trains for stranded passengers. In worst-hit Sivasagar district, where nearly 1.58 lakh people have been affected, the Dikhow River flowed above the "extreme flood level", the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) said. A total of 101 relief camps and relief distribution centres have been set up across 11 districts, where 9,606 displaced people are currently taking shelter, the officials said. The ASDMA urged people to stay away from the river due to continuous rise in its water level. Several major rivers in the state were in spate, with ...

Updated On: 21 Jul 2026 | 1:42 PM IST

Arunachal deploys helicopter to airlift supplies as floods cut off villages

Flash floods and massive landslides triggered by heavy rains around a week ago cut off several remote villages in Arunachal Pradesh from the rest of the state, requiring the administration to deploy a commercial helicopter to supply emergency food and medical supplies to the deluge-hit areas. Collapsed bridges and road blockades due to landslides at multiple locations left Rotte, Rame, Loglu, Lipin, Mane, Tene, Sipu, Kakki, Kadu, Rina, Sido, and Korang in Lower Siang completely isolated. Responding to an urgent requisition from the Lower Siang deputy commissioner, the authorities pressed a state-owned Skyone Airways Mi-172 helicopter into service, an official report said. The helicopter is scheduled to operate multiple sorties on Saturday to transport essential food and critical medical aid from the Pasighat Advanced Landing Ground in East Siang district to the Koyu helipad in Lower Siang district. According to the Directorate of Civil Aviation's plan, the chopper will depart ...

Updated On: 04 Jul 2026 | 10:14 AM IST

Assam flood situation improves; ferry services to resume on Brahmaputra

The flood situation in Assam continued to improve with the affected population and area decreasing to around 3.37 lakh in 12 districts respectively, officials said on Sunday. An official bulletin said that the total death toll in this year's floods and landslides is at 23, including six killed in mudslides, till Saturday. Major rivers, including the Brahmaputra, were on a receding trend, though a few of these continued to flow above the danger mark. Following this, ferry services which had been suspended since last week will be partially restored over the Brahmaputra during the day. The Brahmaputra was flowing over the danger level at Dhubri, Kopili at Dharamtul, Barak at BP Ghat and Kushiyara at Sribhumi till Saturday evening. A total of 3,37,358 people in 41 circles and 999 villages in 12 districts remained affected by the deluge, with Sribhumi the worst-hit where over 1.93 lakh people are reeling under floods. In Hailakandi, 73,724 remained affected and in Cachar, 56,398 are s

Updated On: 08 Jun 2025 | 12:36 PM IST

Sikkim govt rescues stranded tourists, locals, and taxi drivers in Chaten

The helicopter sortie began this morning from the Pakyong Greenfield Airport, with the first sortie taking off towards Chaten to initiate the evacuation process

Updated On: 08 Jun 2025 | 9:28 AM IST

Assam flood situation sees slight improvement as rivers begin to recede

The flood situation in Assam improved marginally as major rivers, including the Brahmaputra, were showing a receding trend though a population of over four lakh people was still affected by the deluge in 18 districts of the state, officials said on Saturday. Rainfall has been less in most districts and scattered in some, leading to a recession in the water level of the major rivers. The Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger level in Dhubri, Kopili in Dharamtul, River Barak at Katakhal in Hailakandi and Kushiyara in Sribhumi. There was no report of any casualty during the day though a person was reported missing in Kamrup (Metro) district. A landslide took place in the Rupnagar area of Guwahati early on Saturday and a person has been reported missing. The current first wave of floods along with landslides due to heavy rainfall has so far claimed 21 lives. The floods have affected 1,296 villages under 54 revenue circles of 18 districts and 16,558.59 hectares of cropland are still

Updated On: 07 Jun 2025 | 11:48 AM IST

59 tourists airlifted from north Sikkim as rescue ops resume

Fifty-nine tourists were brought back to Gangtok from the rain-ravaged north Sikkim on Thursday morning as the rescue operations resumed after the weather cleared, officials said. They were among the 109 tourists stranded in north Sikkim's Lachung for nearly a week. Two MI-17V5 helicopters left for Chaten in north Sikkim from Pakyong airport near state capital Gangtok in the early morning after the weather cleared. While 39 tourists returned on one copter, 20 returned on another, officials said. Among those rescued were two foreigners, they said. Sikkim Nationalised Transport (SNT) has deployed buses to help these rescued tourists reach Siliguri in West Bengal. An additional helicopter has been kept on standby at Pakyong airport for those who want to travel to Bagdogra near Siliguri by air. The two helicopters flew to Chaten with personnel from the NDRF and Power Department, and engineers of Airtel, who would work in the region for restoring essential services, they said. These

Updated On: 05 Jun 2025 | 11:37 AM IST

Sikkim landslide: Rescue ops hit by bad weather, chopper aborts mission

A chopper with 9 NDRF personnel took off from Pakyong at 6 a.m. but returned mid-air due to poor visibility near Mangan and Chaten, making flying conditions unsafe

Updated On: 04 Jun 2025 | 3:17 PM IST

BRO working 24x7 to aid rain-hit Mizoram, Sikkim, Arunachal: Defence Min

According to the Directorate of Public Relations, Ministry of Defence, BRO teams have been working relentlessly in treacherous terrain to restore critical connectivity

Updated On: 04 Jun 2025 | 7:04 AM IST

Datanomics: Floods in N-E states spotlight poor funding allocation

There has been a steady rise in the share of flood-related deaths in the northeastern states

Updated On: 03 Jun 2025 | 11:59 PM IST

PM Modi speaks to Northeast leaders on floods, assures full support

Sikkim CM Prem Singh Tamang also shared a post on X, thanking PM Modi for his concern about the flood and landslide situation in the state

Updated On: 03 Jun 2025 | 12:39 PM IST

Northeast floods worsen; 36 dead, over 550,000 affected across states

Three army personnel killed, nine missing after a landslide swept away a military camp in Mangan district of Sikkim; over 1,600 tourists stranded in Lachung and Chungthang evacuated

Updated On: 03 Jun 2025 | 10:24 AM IST

Manipur flash floods: Over 56,000 people affected, 10,477 houses damaged

Over 56,000 people have been affected by flash floods triggered by overflowing rivers and embankment breaches in Manipur, an official statement said on Tuesday. It said that 10,477 houses have been damaged and 56,516 174 people affected by the floods. One person went missing after being swept away by a river in Imphal East district on Monday, it said, adding that 2,913 people have been evacuated from the affected areas. A fresh breach of embankment was reported at Bashikhong in Imphal East district after the Kongba river breached its embankments on Monday, officials said. At least 57 relief camps have been opened for affected people mostly in Imphal East district, which is the worst flood-affected district in the state. Ninety-three landslides have been reported in the last five days across the state. Several localities in the state's capital Imphal, and many parts of Imphal East district have been inundated after a swollen river breached embankments and overflowed in Khurai, Hei

Updated On: 03 Jun 2025 | 9:55 AM IST