You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

BPCL disinvestment gets going with multiple EOIs, Reliance stays away

Aramco also not in fray; actual number bids not revealed but sources say three of four have been received

Topics
BPCL | Reliance Industries | Divestment

Shine Jacob & Somesh Jha  |  New Delhi 

BPCL
The transaction advisor will now evaluate the EoIs after which companies will be shortlisted for submission of final bid price.

The long-awaited privatisation process for Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) is finally moving to its second stage with at least three to four submitting expressions of interest (EoIs). The government had to extend the deadlines for submission of EoIs four times before setting the final deadline on Monday.

The sale is crucial for the government in order to meet its disinvestment target of Rs 2.1 trillion for the current fiscal year. The government has not revealed the number of bidders. Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman tweeted that strategic of has progressed to the second stage after multiple expressions of interest have been received. With this, the NDA government would be making its first privatisation in the petroleum sector after the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government sold IPCL to (RIL).

A person aware of the development indicated to Business Standard that around three to four players have shown interest. Reliance Industries, however, did not put in a bid, nor did its partner Saudi Aramco. Russian state-owned Rosneft, which part owns Nayara Energy, the promoter of erstwhile Essar Oil refinery at Vadinar, is also believed to have kept out of the race.

A Press Trust of India report said a clutch of private equity funds and/or pension funds are said to have put in EoIs. A lot of investors had conveyed lack of interest in due to the requirement of $10 billion net worth for putting in a bid. Also, state-run were not allowed to participate in the process.

chart

“We have received multiple EoIs. We are not supposed to divulge names and the number of bids. There will be no extension of the bid deadline and we are moving on to the next stage,” Tuhin Kanta Pandey, secretary, Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, told Business Standard.

The transaction advisor will now evaluate the EoIs after which will be shortlisted for submission of final bid price.

The Cabinet had approved the sale of the government’s entire 52.98 per cent stake in in November last year. Offers seeking EoIs were invited only on March 7. Based on the current market cap of Rs 89,525.06 crore, the value of 52.98 per cent stake in the company is expected to be around Rs 47,430 crore. For investors, around 35.3 million tonne of refining capacity, 16,492 retail outlets, and 72 million LPG customers will be on offer.

The government's plan is to sell its entire shareholding in BPCL comprising 1.15 billion equity shares, with the transfer of management control to a strategic buyer, excluding the company's 61.65 per cent in the Numaligarh Refinery in Assam.

The stake in Numaligarh refinery is expected to be sold to another public sector undertaking. A consortium of Oil India and Engineers India has shown interest in taking up BPCL’s 48 per cent stake in Numaligarh. The remaining stake would be sold to the government of Assam, to increase the state's share to 26 per cent in the venture. N Vijayagopal, director (finance) of BPCL, said the data room for Numaligarh stake sale was open. On the other hand, the company is also looking to buy the stake of Oman Oil Company in Bharat Oman Refineries.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Mon, November 16 2020. 20:04 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.