You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

Coca-Cola India records 37% growth in unit case volumes

BS Reporter  |  New Delhi 

Continuing its strong overall unit case volume growth performance for the 13th consecutive quarter, beverage major Coca-Cola India recorded a rise of 37 per cent for the third quarter ended September 30, 2009. The company had recorded an 18 per cent unit case volume growth in the corresponding quarter of the previous year.

India gained volume and value share across most categories, including sparkling, still and juice & juice drinks. The company attributed this growth to an increase in investment in the distribution and expansion of coolers and soft drink equipment, which it claims have gone up not just in the metros but also in Tier-II and Tier-III cities as well.

Globally, the company gained volume and value share in the non-alcoholic ready-to-drink beverages category for the ninth consecutive quarter. The global “Open Happiness” campaign continued to fuel the growth of brand Coca-Cola.

Notably, brand Coca-Cola unit case volume growth was strong — up 2 per cent in the quarter — across both developed and emerging markets, including an 8 per cent growth in Mexico, 6 per cent growth in Italy, 27 per cent growth in India and 3 per cent growth in China.

The company’s total sparkling beverage unit case volume increased 1 per cent in the quarter, with international sparkling beverage unit case volume increasing 2 per cent, registering a 5 per cent growth in the prior year quarter. Total still beverage unit case volume increased 7 per cent in the quarter, led by growth across the portfolio, including juices and fruit stills, teas and water brands. In Eurasia and Africa, sparkling beverages increased 1 per cent and still beverages increased 7 per cent in the quarter.

The company’s Bottling Investments Group’s unit case volume, too, increased 4 per cent in the reporting quarter, primarily driven by a strong growth in China, India and the Philippines, but partially offset by the impact of the Pakistan bottler divestiture in the prior year.

Muhtar Kent, chairman and chief executive officer of Coca-Cola, said in a statement: “Although we expect the consumer to continue facing economic uncertainties into 2010 and for consumer sentiment to recover slowly, we believe more than ever that we have the right strategies being executed.”

First Published: Wed, October 21 2009. 00:48 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU