- Top events today: Bolsonaro's India visit, Maharashtra bandh, and more
- Banks continue to see drop in small study loans, but high-value ones rise
- CRPF jawan in Mukesh Ambani's security dies as rifle goes off accidentally
- Pak PM Imran Khan's comments on Kashmir reflect frustration: India
- Kerala nurse tested positive for coronavirus: Serious matter, CM to Centre
- Communication gap behind DoT seeking Rs 3 trn from non-telco PSUs: Pradhan
- Top headlines: Malaysia's bid to placate India, RBI may hold rates and more
- If I was not a minister today, would be bidding for Air India: Piyush Goyal
- Delhi sees traffic jams as roads shut due to Republic Day dress rehearsal
- Pak spews venom, takes to hate speech like fish takes to water: India at UN
CAA LIVE: 6 killed in Uttar Pradesh, protests turn violent in Delhi
Agitators defied prohibitory orders across regions, prompting authorities to detain activists and politicians on Thursday
New Delhi: A protestor holds a placard during a demonstration against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) at Jamia Nagar in New Delhi | Photo: PTI
CAA protest LIVE updates: The anti-CAA protests turned violent in Delhi on Friday, with protestors setting a car on fire in the city's Daryaganj area in an incident of arson in the city's largely peaceful day of demonstration.
Police used water cannons and lathi-charged a large group of protesters after they pelted stones at police personnel. The demonstrators who who were trying to march from Old Delhi to Jantar Mantar were stopped at Delhi Gate by the police.
Many parts of Uttar Pradesh including, Meerut and Gorakhpur also witnessed violent protests. Stone pelting was reported in several parts, while Police resorted to lathicharge. More than 15 districts in UP witnessed clashes between the police and protesters.