- UP govt to develop Sikh Circuit in UP; museum, research centre to come up
- Anti-CAA protests: Cannot issue blanket order against invoking NSA, says SC
- Top headlines: India's direct taxes may fall, fresh summons for AirAsia CEO
- CAA: Concerned citizens ask Prez to act against those indulging in violence
- Oxford English dictionary to feature 26 news words, including Aadhaar
- CAA stir: Shaheen Bagh women to college students, why are they on streets?
- Nirbhaya convicts allege Tihar jail coming in way of filing mercy plea
- Periyar EV Ramasamy row: Madras HC dismisses plea against actor Rajinikanth
- Modi creating Hindu nationalist state in India: Billionaire George Soros
- 'Maharashtra bandh' over CAA, NRC: Security tightened; transport unaffected
CAA LIVE: 6 killed in Uttar Pradesh, protests turn violent in Delhi
Agitators defied prohibitory orders across regions, prompting authorities to detain activists and politicians on Thursday
New Delhi: A protestor holds a placard during a demonstration against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) at Jamia Nagar in New Delhi | Photo: PTI
CAA protest LIVE updates: The anti-CAA protests turned violent in Delhi on Friday, with protestors setting a car on fire in the city's Daryaganj area in an incident of arson in the city's largely peaceful day of demonstration.
Police used water cannons and lathi-charged a large group of protesters after they pelted stones at police personnel. The demonstrators who who were trying to march from Old Delhi to Jantar Mantar were stopped at Delhi Gate by the police.
Many parts of Uttar Pradesh including, Meerut and Gorakhpur also witnessed violent protests. Stone pelting was reported in several parts, while Police resorted to lathicharge. More than 15 districts in UP witnessed clashes between the police and protesters.