You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

Akhilesh launches energy projects worth Rs 4,000 cr

In all, Yadav either laid foundation or unveiled 163 transmission or distribution sub-stations all over the state

Virendra Singh Rawat  |  Lucknow 

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday launched energy projects worth about Rs 4,000 crore aimed at strengthening power transmission and distribution infrastructure in the state.

In all, Yadav either laid foundation or unveiled 163 transmission or distribution sub-stations all over the state, which entailed a cost of Rs 1,881 crore.

Meanwhile, an agreement was signed with Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGICL) for the development of transmission infrastructure for wheeling out power generated by the Lalitpur thermal project, entailing investment of Rs 2,300 crore.

Meanwhile, Yadav unveiled Srinagar hydro electric project situated in Paudi Garhwal district of Uttarakhand.

The private sector project was conceptualised in undivided UP. Uttarakhand was carved out from UP in 2000 during the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime of Atal Behari Vajpayee.

The diversified GVK Group company, Alaknanda Power Company, is the private developer of the project comprising 4 units of 82.5 Mw each totalling 330 Mw. The project took off in 2006, when the erstwhile Mulayam Singh Yadav government was in power in UP. The project would provide 12 per cent power generated to Uttarakhand for free, while the rest 88 per cent would be supplied to UP. The power is likely to available from April 2014.

Besides, long term power purchase agreements (PPA) were signed with private companies for 1,361 Mw valid for 25 years.

During peak hours, UP witnesses energy demand-supply gap of 20 per cent with power being cited by industry as the most critical, yet lacking infrastructure in the state.

In his address, ruling Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav said power, road and water were the basic needs of people, which should be addressed on priority by the incumbent state government.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, March 04 2014. 20:23 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.