You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

Madrid readies for partial lockdown, files legal challenge amid Covid surge

Madrid's legal challenge argues that restrictions violate regional self-rule laws.

Topics
Spain | Coronavirus | Europe

AP  |  Madrid 

Coronavirus
Madrid is leading the resurgence of the virus in Spain, which has Europe''s highest cumulative caseload — 770,000 since the onset of the pandemic.

Madrid was set to go into partial lockdown on Friday night, complying with an order from the Spanish government but determined to fight it in the courts.

Measures that ban all nonessential trips in and out of the capital and nine of its suburbs covering around 4.8 million people were set to be enacted at 10 p.m. (2000 GMT).

Spain's Socialist prime minister, Pedro Snchez, said there was a critical need to take the new steps in the European hot spot.

But officials in Madrid, whose regional government is managed by the conservative Popular Party, balked at the order, saying it would bring chaos and further the sap the economy's health. It filed an appeal at the National Court against the new measures.

Under the national order, travelers will need to prove that they are going to or from work, to see a doctor or to conduct essential administrative or legal errands in order to leave Madrid or the town where they live.

Restaurants must close at 11 p.m. and shops at 10 p.m., with a restriction of 50% capacity.

Similar measures already apply to more than 1 million residents, and the region has limited social gatherings to a maximum of six people.

Madrid's legal challenge argues that restrictions violate regional self-rule laws.

Madrid is leading the resurgence of the virus in Spain, which has Europe's highest cumulative caseload 770,000 since the onset of the pandemic.

The capital had a two-week infection rate of 695 cases per 100,000 residents Thursday, more than twice the national average of 274 cases and seven times the European average, which stood at 94 per 100,000 residents last week, according to the European Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

But Madrid regional health chief Enrique Ruiz Escudero said the situation is improving, with the infection rate falling to 607 per 100,000 Friday and four consecutive days of fewer people being admitted to hospitals.

The numbers give us reason for hope, he told a news conference.

Madrid legal chief Enrique Lpez said authorities will comply with the order, deploying more police, even though they believe it will create chaos.

He estimated the order will cost the Madrid economy 8 billion euros ($9.4 billion). He did not provide details of how the amount was calculated.

Prime Minister Pedro Snchez has refused to budge, saying Friday that Madrid faces a moment of extraordinary seriousness. The situation in Madrid is critical because (the region) has 33% of (COVID-19) deaths, he said in Brussels, where he was attending a European Union summit.

Some passengers at Madrid's main train station, Atocha, welcomed the new steps.

I think they need to take strong measures to control the epidemic here in Madrid, said Vicente Mira, a 62-year-old retired teacher.

Communication manager Pablo Torres, 36, wanted officials to get tough, saying the current measures are nonsense and a sticking plaster on something that is a lot bigger problem. It wasn't immediately clear how the new measures might affect the few tourists arriving in Madrid, but regional authorities can't ban foreign visitors unless closes its borders.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, October 02 2020. 23:13 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU