You are here: Home » International » News » Politics
Business Standard

Saudi sent 'cover-up team' to dispose of Khashoggi's body: Turkish media

While Riyadh officials have admitted the murder was planned, they have so far declined to release details of the whereabouts of the 59-year-old journalist's missing body

AFP | PTI  |  Istanbul 

Jamal Khashoggi , journalist Jamal Khashoggi , saudi journalist, missing saudi journalist
Jamal Khashoggi

deployed a and expert to after the murder of in an attempt to cover up evidence of the killing, a Turkish newspaper reported on Monday.

The murder of the Saudi inside Saudi Arabia's consulate in has provoked widespread outrage.

Turkish authorities have released gruesome details of a killing that has said was a targeted hit.

While officials have admitted the murder was planned, they have so far declined to release details of the whereabouts of the 59-year-old journalist's missing body.

According to Turkey's pro-government daily, sent an 11-member "cover-up team" to on October 11, nine days after contributor vanished after entering the diplomatic compound to obtain paperwork for his marriage.

The paper said and expert were among "the so-called investigative team", which visited the consulate every day until October 17, before leaving on October 20.

finally allowed to search the consulate for the first time on October 15.

Turkey's said last week that was strangled as soon as he entered the consulate and also confirmed the body was dismembered. Yasin Aktay, an advisor to Erdogan, hinted in an article published on Friday that the body may even have been destroyed in acid.

In an editorial published in The Washington Post, Erdogan accused authorities in of refusing to answer key questions about the murder, despite their arrest of 18 suspects a fortnight ago.

He said the order to murder the came from "the highest levels" of the Saudi government, adding that he did "not believe for a second" that Salman was to blame.

But he pointedly failed to absolve of responsibility for unleashing a "death squad" against the outspoken Saudi

The murder has badly tainted the kingdom's de facto ruler.

Saudi Sheikh met with Turkish authorities last week in Istanbul but refused to share information from Riyadh's own investigation, according to Turkish officials.

First Published: Mon, November 05 2018. 14:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU