You are here: Home » News-ANI » National
Business Standard

Kerala tourism badly hit following confirmed cases of coronavirus

Topics
Environment

ANI  |  General News 

After three positive cases of coronavirus were reported from Kerala, the tourism industry in the state is badly hit, with tourists cancelling their bookings.

Kerala Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran told the state assembly here on Tuesday that foreign guests who have done prior bookings have cancelled their trip after positive coronavirus cases were reported from the state.

"Hotels bookings were full for February-March. But after the coronavirus reports, bookings have been cancelled. Kerala Tourism suffered during the outbreak of Nipa virus and also during floods. This is another blow for the tourism industry," he said.

Tourism Minister said that compared with Nipa virus outbreak, the cancellation is more this time after reports of coronavirus have emerged. "But overcoming all challenges Kerala tourism industry is recording growth. In 2018, 10.96 lakh foreign tourists arrived, while in 2019 till nine months, 8.19 lakhs tourists have visited the state," he said.

Kerala Health Minister KK Shailaja on Monday said the state government has declared coronavirus as a state disaster.

"Kerala today (Monday) declared the novel coronavirus as a state disaster. We want to strengthen our surveillance system and precautionary measures," Shailaja said.

"When we came to know that n-coronavirus is rampant in China, we put in place our own system to contain the virus. There are many students from Kerala in China. We expect that they will come back and the coronavirus may affect the state," she added.

The minister further stated, "We have three positive cases of coronavirus so far. The samples had been sent to the Institute of Virology for testing. We are calling back the health officers from leave and putting in place all measures to contain the effect of this virus".

Earlier, Shailaja had informed that the third case of coronavirus tested positive in Kasargod, Kerala.

The virus originated in Wuhan in December and has since then spread to various parts around the world.

China has imposed quarantine and travel restrictions, affecting the movement of 56 million people in more than a dozen cities, amid fears that the transmission rate will accelerate.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, February 04 2020. 13:30 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU