You are here: Home » News-IANS » Politics
Business Standard

Fake news imperils Rajasthan peace, cops helpless

IANS  |  Jaipur 

A that the government has allowed namaz at the Fort of has gone viral on the and the polics are showing their inability to take any action.

The unchecked circulation of the message on and is helping it garner thousands of retweets and likes and the kind of reactions it is generating in the may pose a threat to peace and harmony in the state.

The police, however, expressed its inability to cross check the fact as the had in October 2015 scrapped the Section 66A of the Act 2000, citing the liberty of thoughts and expression as cardinal.

Interestingly, the tweet originated from one Dr. Gaurav Pradhan, being followed by and

The message reads: What couldn't do, has done. It has permitted Namaaz inside the holy fort of Maharana Pratap, which once used to echo with Shiva slogans.

"na kar saka, woh ne kar dikhaya... Sarkar ne ke Kile mein Iztema ki izaazat pradan ki, Jis kile mein hamesha eklingnath, har har mahadev ka jaighosh hota raha, waha pehli baar allah gunjega."

was sworn in as the of on December 17, 2018.

The Fort is the birthplace of Mewar who fought the famous Haldighati battle with Mughal Akbar in Rajasthan. It is a revered place for Rajputs.

Speaking to IANS, Bhuvan Bhushan, of Police, Rajsamand, confirmed that a group of Muslims had planned to organise a similar kind of event at the fort on March 10. They had also invited an Imam from

"The and I personally called them for discussion and asked them to refrain from any such event, which can be a threat to social harmony," he said.

He also expressed his inability to check the same (message) saying Section 66A of the Act 2000 has been struck down by the apex court. People are just not afraid of any clause, he added.

Meanwhile, Narpat Singh, of Police, Kumbhalgarh, told IANS it seems the message has been made viral to polarise the masses.

"There is no ground reality in it. As of now, no complaint has been submitted in this context. If someone reports the matter, we shall definitely take action," he said.

The fort comes under the Archaeological Survey of India, hence, only ASI officials can permit any such event in the premises and not the state government, he added.

Meanwhile, the ASI officials said no such event had been organised in the premises of the fort.

However, the groups active on with thousands of followers continue to circulate this message on social media, and the people have started discussing it in the state.

--IANS

arc/rs/pcj

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, March 16 2019. 19:18 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU