A day after a student of Class 5 passed away in Delhi after drinking "water" from her junior's bottle, the liquid substance is being scrutinised by the forensic department to ascertain if it was acid that led to the girl's death, a police officer said on Thursday.
The incident took place at a private school in north Delhi's Harsh Vihar area during lunch break when the two girls were eating together in the classroom. Soon after the victim drank "water" from her junior's bottle, she fell ill. The school authorities rushed her to the GTB Hospital where she died during treatment.
The victim, who succumbed to internal injuries, lived with her parents and brother in Harsh Vihar. The police are suspecting that the liquid was acid.
"We are trying to establish whose negligence led to the tragic death, the parents of the Class 4 student who brought the liquid substance in her school bag or the school management since the incident happened during school hours," Deputy Commissioner of Police A.K. Thakur told IANS.
"We are waiting for the forensic and autopsy reports to establish if it was really acid which led to the death of the eleven-year-old girl.
"A case of death due to negligence has been registered at the Harsh Vihar Police station," he added.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)