You are here: Home » News-IANS » Health-Medicine
Business Standard

Measles outbreak in Philippines kills 70

IANS  |  Manila 

At least 70 people, mostly children under four years of age, have been confirmed dead due to outbreak in the and the authorities are blaming hesitancy for the health crisis.

The deaths occurred since the beginning of the year but the in a statement on Monday said the outbreak intensified last week and over 4,300 people were taken ill with symptoms of - a very contagious transmitted through air, news reported.

The authorities put five regions on alert, although the highest number of affected people were reported from and its suburbs.

An intensive programme was launched for children in the National Capital Region to prevent further proliferation of the which infects respiratory system of its victim and can result in severe diarrhoea, pneumonia, and even death.

"Regions with high reported cases are (1,296 cases and 18 deaths) Calabarzon (1,086 cases and 25 deaths), Central Luzon (481 cases with 3 deaths), Western Visayas (212 cases and 4 deaths) and Northern Mindanao (189 cases and 2 deaths)," the said.

The outbreak of the was being attributed to the lack of among children in recent years. Around 2.5 million Filipino children under the age of five didn't receive the necessary shots.

Many Philippine parents refused to vaccinate their children due to the scandal surrounding Dangvaxia, an anti-which was used in the country between 2014 and 2017, until its manufacturer, the French company Sanofi Pasteur, admitted that it carried adverse effects and the vaccinated people who contracted for the first time suffered more severe effects.

appealed to the public to repose their trust and confidence in programmes.

--IANS

soni/

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, February 12 2019. 12:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU