You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

13 dead, 31 wounded in Kabul attack

AFP  |  Kabul 

A suicide attacker blew himself up today as government workers queued for an early bus home during the holy month of Ramadan, killing at least 13 people and wounding 31, officials and hospital staff said.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the latest attack in the Afghan capital, a day before the government's separate ceasefire with the is due to start.

The blast happened at the main gate of the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, police and health ministry spokesmen told AFP.

Employees were gathered at the entrance of the compound waiting for a bus to take them home when the bomber blew himself up in the crowd, said Faridoon Azhand, who was inside the building at the time.

"I was in my office when I heard a big blast," another employee told AFP.

"Most of my colleagues were leaving for the day to go home. I am worried about my colleagues. We are told to stay inside for now." confirmed the attacker had targeted the employees as they waited for the bus at around 1:00 pm (local time).

They were leaving early due to the holy month of Ramadan, when most Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.

The attack, which IS claimed via their propaganda agency, killed 13 people and wounded 31, Azhand told AFP. A doctor at a hospital treating many of the victims confirmed the death toll.

Police and health officials said earlier that 12 people were killed and 31 wounded.

The attack was just one of several around Monday.

Militants raided a government building in the eastern city of in province, prompting terrified employees to jump out of the windows, officials said.

A suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance to the education department, triggering a fierce battle between gunmen and Afghan security forces, told AFP. At least 10 people were wounded, told AFP.

In another incident an explosion inside a house in killed one person and wounded three others, Stanikzai said.

The three wounded were detained after police found explosives, including suicide vests, in the building which they suspect was being used by militants planning attacks in the city.

and IS militants have stepped up their attacks on in particular in recent years, making it the deadliest place in the country for civilians. Afghan on Thursday announced police and troops would halt hostilities with the for a week -- though he warned that operations against other groups, including IS, would continue.

The ceasefire would last from the "27th of until the fifth day of Eid-al-Fitr", he said, indicating it could run from June 12-19. The Taliban said Saturday their fighters would stop attacking Afghan security forces but only for the first three days of Eid, the holiday capping They said they would continue attacking US-led NATO troops.

It is the first time the militants have agreed to suspend fighting since the 2001 US invasion, and the move was largely welcomed by war-weary Afghans. Both sides have vowed to retaliate if attacked during the ceasefire.

If it holds, analysts had expressed cautious optimism that the agreements could help build trust between the government and the Taliban and lay the groundwork for peace talks.

But with myriad armed groups in Afghanistan, there are still fears that IS could continue to carry out attacks -- or even be helped by the Haqqani Network, a brutal arm of the Taliban that is suspected of partnering with IS on attacks in in the past.

The latest violence comes as dozens of protesters march hundreds of kilometres towards Kabul to demand an end to the nearly 17-year conflict.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, June 11 2018. 19:40 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU