You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

32 labourers return to Jharkhand from Saudi Arabia following MEA intervention

Press Trust of India  |  Ramgarh (Jharkhand) 

Thirty-two labourers from who were allegedly forced to work for a company in since 2016 and held hostage there, have returned home following the intervention of the External Affairs Ministry, the office of said.

The labourers hailed from Hazaribagh, Bokaro and districts of the state.

Sinha, the Union for Civil Aviation, had in July this year written to after his office received calls from the labourers, requesting his helping for returning home.

In his letter to the External Affairs Minister, Sinha said the labourers were promised jobs in a reputed construction firm, but when they reached in in July 2016, they were forced to work for another company.

The labourers were held hostage and reportedly not paid wages since October, 2017. Their passports were also seized, the letter stated.

The labourers returned to their home late last week following the intervention of the

"It is a very joyous moment for us as we have been able to bring our people back to safely. Today every Indian abroad lives with an assurance that their country stands with them," Sinha, an from Hazaribagh, said in a statement on Thursday.

One of those labourers, Khirodhar Mahto (26) from district, said, "We contacted Jayant Sinha's office and had sought his help."

"We are very happy that we returned to our home after the Indian Embassy in arranged for our return following a directive from the External Affairs Ministry," he said.

Another labourer, Sikandar Ali from district, said nine workers are still in Riyadh and they are expected to return to within a few days.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, October 11 2018. 22:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU