You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Bulgaria launches probe into recent visit by New Zealand mosque shooter

AFP  |  Sofia 

Prosecutors in on Friday launched a probe into a recent visit to the country by an Australian man alleged to be the gunman who killed 49 people in attacks on two mosques.

The suspected assailant visited from November 9-15 last year claiming he wanted "to visit historical sites and study the history of the Balkan country," Bulgaria's said.

He said the inquiry would establish if this was "correct or if he had other objectives".

According to investigators, the man arrived in from on November 9 and hired a car the following day to visit historical sites in ten locations.

He left on November 15 on a flight bound for where he hired a car to travel to Hungary, Tsatsarov said.

The Australian had also made a short visit to the from December 28-30, 2016, travelling by bus across Serbia, Croatia, and

said it was in contact with authorities in the US, New Zealand, Australia, the United Arab Emirates, and over the matter.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sat, March 16 2019. 00:40 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU