You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Cousin held for raping teenager in Gautam Buddh Nagar's Jewar: police

Law Crime

Press Trust of India  |  Noida (UP) 

With the arrest of a 23-year-old man, the Gautam Buddh Nagar Police Monday claimed to have cracked an alleged case of rape of a minor.

The arrested accused is a cousin of the victim, police said. Initially, a complaint of gang rape had been filed in the case, they said.

On August 24, a 16-year-old girl, resident of a village in Jewar area, was returning home after sewing classes when she was "kidnapped and raped", police said.

An FIR was registered at Jewar police station on August 29 amid allegations of "delay" in filing the case, which officials refuted.

The accused was arrested from Jahangirpur bus stand this morning and is a cousin of the victim from her maternal side, Station House Officer SS Bhati said. The arrested man is a resident of Munda Kheda village in Bulandshahr district's Khurja area, he added.

He has confessed to having made the girl drink beer and raped her at an isolated spot near Dastampur, the SHO said.

"On inputs received from the accused, police went to the spot and recovered the beer cans and also impounded the motorcycle used in the crime," he added.

According to the FIR lodged at Jewar police station, the victim was kidnapped by "two" men who assaulted and raped the girl before dumping her near her home the next day.

The FIR was registered and charges under Indian Penal Code section 376 (rape) besides the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and the Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, the official said.

However, charges under the SC/ST Act were dropped since both belong to the same community, Bhati said.

Asked about the "delay" in registering an FIR, Superintendent of Police (Rural) Vineet Jaiswal said it was filed immediately after the victim reached them.

"The incident took place on August 24, but the girl did not come to the police immediately, she may have been under some pressure or something. The day she along with her father approached the police at Jewar police station, the FIR was lodged and probe taken up, Jaiswal told reporters.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Mon, September 03 2018. 22:00 IST