You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Differently-abled DU students say food subsidy withdrawn

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Differently-abled University students have alleged the 50-per subsidy given to them in hostel mess has been withdrawn, even as the administration said they were trying to work out the modalities.

Students claimed they were getting subsidy on since 2012 but from July onwards, they have to pay the same rates as the other students.

A resident of in the varsity said, "In 2012, we had raised a demand for separate hostels for PwD (persons with disabilities). At that time, the varsity said that there would be five per cent reservation on the seats and the mess rates would be halved. But from the last two-three months, we have not been getting at subsidised rates.

Another student, a resident of University Hostel For Women, said many hostels such as Mansarowar Hostel, and have stopped giving food at subsidised rates.

"From this session onwards, these three hostels have stopped giving We have been told that the other hostels will also not give subsidy in the next two-three months after their funds are exhausted," she said.

Sources said has not received any grant from the since it has not signed the tripartite memorandum of understanding sent by the

The agreement to be signed between the HRD Ministry, and was sent to the varsity last year, and the varsity has to sign it to continue receiving funds from the

An from the varsity said, "The varsity had been giving the subsidy from 2012 on its own. It was not receiving any funding for it. It is not that we have withdrawn it. We will continue to give it. There have been some procedural changes and we are working them out so that this can be continued.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, October 10 2018. 17:06 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU