You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Expect large social media platforms to behave responsibly, says IT Secy

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Amid concerns over rumours and false information circulated on popular platforms, the government today said it expects large firms like as also others to behave responsibly and take steps to ensure that users have full confidence in them.

has been under fire over rampant abuse of its platform for circulation of fake news, which has incited mob fury leading to lynching incidents in various parts of the country.

Such is the level of alarm among policymakers that the telecom department has sought views of the industry on technical measures that can be adopted for blocking mobile apps like instagram, Facebook, and Telegram in situations where national security and public order are under threat.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a Trai conference here, said: "We expect all platforms to behave in a responsible manner especially those platforms with large user base."

He was responding to a specific query on outstanding issues with WhatsApp over the spread of rumours and hoaxes on its platform.

He said users need to have confidence in the platform they are on.

"We believe all major platforms have large presence here. And they will take whatever steps necessary to ensure that users have complete confidence in their platform," he said.

Sawhney, however, said that there was no particular reference from the over blocking any platform, as such.

Whenever an issue crops up, the ministry examines it in accordance with IT Act.

"The IT Act provides all kinds of obligations on the platforms and intermediaries," he said.

Asked if the ministry has lined up a meeting with companies on the issue of curbing false information on the platforms, Sawhney said that it dealt with an issue as and when it came up.

The ministry has in the past too written to service providers, he pointed out.

WhatsApp, has been in the eye of storm over mob-lynching incidents being incited by false information and rumours circulating on its platform. Last month, the government expressed dissatisfaction over measures listed by WhatsApp for checking fake news, saying the platform cannot escape its responsibility for such rampant abuse and needed to find originators of provocative messages.

Government has also warned the Facebook-owned messaging service that in the absence of adequate checks, it will be treated as 'abettor' of rumour propagation and legal consequences shall follow.

Responding to this, WhatsApp informed the government of its efforts to build a local team on ground, including head, but still did not meet a key demand of IT Ministry, that of identifying the message originators.

Sawhney said that the is "looking into" WhatsApp's response.

"We have received their response. They have taken steps to limit forwarding and are are trying to ramp up platform. We have also requested various platforms to make sure that flagging of concerns is possible within the platform. These are global platforms. We expect, over a period of time, they will ramp up facilities so if anything is disturbing, then user should be able to flag the concern," the said.

The (DoT) last month wrote to all telecom operators, the (ISPAI), industry body (COAI) and others seeking their inputs to block the applications under the (IT) Act during specific circumstances.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, August 07 2018. 19:05 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU