-
ALSO READ
PIL seeks release of seized PPE kits, masks to medical staff
Decide if you will pay for transport of migrants: HC to Maha
HC seeks Maha stand on civic chief's power to alter govt order
HC seeks Maha reply on plea for independent probe in lynching
PIL against Citizenship Amendment Act in Bombay High Court
-
The Bombay High Court on Friday
directed the Maharashtra government to explain why number of seats in the open category for post-graduate medical courses decreased in the year 2020-21.
Justice N J Jamadar was hearing a plea filed by one Dr Pushkar Dongare raising concerns on allocation of seat matrix for admission to post-graduate medical courses.
As per the plea, for the year 2019, there were 972 post-graduate seats in the state, of which 330 were in the open category.
With the introduction of 10 per cent reservation for the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) category last year, the government claimed seats for post-graduate medical courses would be increased by 25 per cent.
The petitioner's advocate Rajeev Panday told the court that for the year 2020-21, the number of seats was shown as 1,168 but the seats in the open category was only 327, which is three seats lesser than the previous year.
The bench then directed the government to file an affidavit explaining why the total number of post-graduate seats for the open category for the year 2020-21 was less than those for the year 2019 despite the claim of 25 per cent increase in seats.
The court said the selection process may proceed but the same shall be subject to the outcome of any order passed in this petition.
The court posted the matter for further hearing on May 19.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Dear Reader,
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.
Digital Editor
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU