You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Gurgaon school murder: HC says 16-year-old accused will not be treated as adult

Press Trust of India  |  Chandigarh 

The and High Court on Thursday set aside a lower court order which said the16-year-old student, accused of killing a seven-year-old boy at a private school in over a year ago, will be treated as an adult during trial.

Justice allowed the petition of the accused challenging a sessions court decision that he be tried as an adult in the case. The sessions court had upheld a order.

"The court set aside the judgement of the lower court which had ordered that the accused be tried as an adult in the murder case," Sushil Tekriwal, representing the victim's family, said.

The high court observed that the procedure adopted by the lower court to declare that the accused be tried as an adult "cannot be made to sustain in the eyes of law and therefore, the order is being set aside with observation that it shall be remanded back to the for taking a fresh view on the same," he said.

The victim's body was found with his throat slit in the school's washroom on September 8 last year. The Police said the crime was committed by a school bus conductor, which was refuted by the CBI after it took over the probe.

The CBI had claimed that the teenager killed the seven-year-old in a bid to get the school closed so that a scheduled parent-teacher meeting and an examination could be deferred.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, October 11 2018. 19:50 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU