You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Nuclear chief says Iran exploring new uranium enrichment

Topics
Politics

AP  |  Tehran 

The head of Iran's nuclear program said the Islamic Republic has begun "preliminary activities for designing" a modern process for 20-percent uranium enrichment for its 50-year-old research reactor in Tehran, signalling new danger for the nuclear deal.

The comment on state television Sunday from Ali Akbar Salehi increases the pressure on the international community as 20-percent enrichment would mean Iran has abandoned the terms of the 2015 atomic accord.

President Donald Trump already pulled America out of the accord in May and resumed sanctions on Tehran. So far, United Nations inspectors say Iran continues to comply with the deal's terms, which limits enrichment to 3.5 percent.

Salehi said "we are at the verge" of being ready, without elaborating in his remarks.

The US donated the reactor to Iran in 1967.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, January 13 2019. 22:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU