You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Trump blocks Broadcom's USD 117 billion bid to buy Qualcomm

Press Trust of India  |  Washington 

US today blocked Singapore-based company Broadcom's USD 117 billion bid for Qualcomm, citing national security concern.

Trump, in his order, said there is "credible evidence" that leads him to believe that if Limited took control of the US-based it "might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the US".

As such, and "shall immediately and permanently abandon the proposed takeover", ordered the US

"The proposed takeover of by the Purchaser is prohibited, and any substantially equivalent merger, acquisition, or takeover, whether effected directly or indirectly, is also prohibited," Trump said in the order issued today.

Trump's decision in this regard comes after said last Friday that it will ask its shareholders to approve its plan to redomicile to the US.

In such a scenario, Broadcom -- which currently works under the laws of -- would have been considered as an American company and thus its proposed USD 117 billion would have been considered outside the preview of a federal agency -- in the (CFIUS) that reviews foreign deal.

In a letter, the CFIUS had confirmed the national security concerns. Last week, the CFIUS issued an interim order to Qualcomm directing it to postpone its annual stockholders meeting and election of directors by 30 days.

Steven Mnuchin, in his capacity as the of the CFIUS, said Trump's decision was consistent with the administration's commitment to take all actions necessary to protect the national security of the US.

"This decision is based on the facts and national security sensitivities related to this particular transaction only and is not intended to make any other statement about Broadcom or its employees, including its thousands of hardworking and highly skilled US employees," Mnuchin said.

"The CFIUS process focuses exclusively on identifying and addressing national security concerns. This focused mandate reinforces our commitment to welcoming foreign investment, while at the same time reinforcing our commitment to protecting national security," he added.

is said to be the main reason behind Trump's decision, US daily 'The New York Times' said.

Last week, several US lawmakers had called for stopping Broadcom's takeover of Qualcomm.

Congressman said that the merger would "damage American security" and had pointed at Broadcom's "increasing" ties with to highlight his reservation about the deal.

"This should concern us as a nation. These ties were most recently reflected in the agreements Broadcom signed with HBC, and StarTimes.has a finely honed capability to access the of companies such as Broadcom, along with that of their subsidiaries and acquisitions," he said.

Hunter said the merger would make Broadcom the third largest chipmaker in the world, "giving them control over a major portion of the supply chain, which is critical to the vital communications components".

"Such a company, if subjected to national or terrorist interests adverse to America, could install lockout features to block our security agencies from monitoring mobile data. The possibilities for damaging US security are limitless," the lawmaker said.

Senator said that Qualcomm's work is too important to the US' national security to let it fall into the hands of a foreign company-and in a hostile takeover no less.

"Its hard to see a good reason why we should hand over one of our leading computer-chip makers, and thereby give Chinese companies a leg-up in the race to develop 5G and the next generation of Better to keep it in American hands and protect American national security," Cotton said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, March 13 2018. 06:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU