The UN Security Council will meet tomorrow for urgent talks following the launch of an offensive on the Yemeni port of Hodeida, a lifeline for aid, by government forces backed by the Saudi-led coalition, diplomats said.
Britain requested the meeting to be held behind closed doors at noon (1600 GMT) -- marking the second time this week that the council will have met on the crisis in Yemen.
"The coalition have assured us that they are incorporating humanitarian concerns into their operational plans. It is vital to maintain the flow of food, fuel and medical supplies into Yemen," said Johnson in a statement.
The Red Sea port, controlled by the Iran-backed Huthi rebels, serves as the entry point for 70 per cent of the impoverished country's imports, but the coalition maintains that the rebels use it to smuggle weapons.
On Monday, the UN Security Council said it backed Griffiths' diplomatic efforts but did not specifically call on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, whose troops are backing Yemeni forces, to refrain from attacking Hodeida.
The UN envoy had been pressing the Huthis to turn over the port to a UN-supervised committee that would allow shipments of vital supplies to continue to flow through it.
The British foreign secretary urged the Huthis to "not compromise port facilities or hinder the humanitarian response."
More than 22 million people in Yemen are in need of aid, including 8.4 million who are at risk of starvation, according to the United Nations, which considers Yemen to be the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
The conflict has left nearly 10,000 people dead and tens of thousands wounded in what was already the Arab world's poorest country.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)