You are here: Home » Specials » News
Business Standard

Saurav Ganguly Says Cheers To Tata Tea

Subroto Chattoraj  |  BSCAL 

Withdraws Rs 20 lakh suit for ad run by Tatas without permission

Cricketer Saurav Ganguly has ended his battle with his employers, Tata Tea Ltd, by withdrawing his Rs 20 lakh damage suit over an advertisement allegedly issued by the company.

The suit had been filed in the Calcutta High Court.

Ganguly has withdrawn his case following an out of court settlement between him and the tea company.

The dispute was settled on the condition that no further advertisement will be published by the Tata Tea without taking Sauravs consent.

The fact that Saurav and the Tatas have finally made up was evident when the Tata group arranged a ceremony in Jamshedpur recently to felicitate the cricketer.

S K Kapoor, J Saha, D Basak and A Guha Ray, counsels for Ganguly, said in the court of Justice A N Ray that the issue had been settled out of court and Ganguly has chosen to withdraw the case. The court allowed Ganguly to withdraw the suit filed against Tata Tea Ltd.

Ganguly filed the suit in September. It was contended that Tata Tea published an advertisement using Sauravs name without taking permission from him.

The advertisement was published by the tea company for a contest called Charged Batsman Contest.

In that advertisement, the public was invited to choose between Sachin Tendulkar, the captain of the Indian cricket team, other batsmen and Saurav and choose who would be their most Charged batsman in the Sahara cup Tournament 1996.

It was stated in the suit that by reason of the wrongful and misleading acts of the Tata Tea, Saurav has suffered loss and damage and Saurav claims damages of Rs 20 lakh against Tata Tea Ltd.

Sources say the two sides sat together and solved the dispute peacefully before Saurav left Calcutta to join the Indian team which is playing a test series against the visiting Sri Lanka team.

First Published: Sat, November 22 1997. 00:00 IST