T Raja Singh said that at a time when the BJP stands at the threshold of forming its first government in Telangana, such a choice raises serious doubts about the direction the party is heading
A four-member 'fact-finding team' constituted by the BJP in connection with the recent gang rape at a law college in Kolkata arrived in the eastern metropolis on Monday morning. The members of the team include former Union ministers Satpal Singh, Meenakshi Lekhi and MPs Biplab Kumar Deb and Manan Kumar Mishra. "Despite being run by a woman chief minister, West Bengal is witnessing one ghastly incident after another in colleges and medical colleges in the state," Deb told reporters after arriving at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport here. "Women are not safe in West Bengal... even a law student is not safe," he added. Deb alleged that the team did not receive permission to visit the South Calcutta Law College, or for an audience with the chief secretary. Deb said the team will later submit a report to BJP national president J P Nadda.
AAP supremo Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday warned that the Rekha Gupta-led BJP government in Delhi would not last even three years if slum demolitions continue, as he called for a mass movement against the drive from Jantar Mantar. The AAP organised a massive protest at the site under the banner of the 'Ghar-Rozgaar Bachao' movement. Senior party leader Gopal Rai challenged that if demolitions continue, people will take over the Prime Minister's residence. Delhi BJP chief Virendra Sachdeva claimed that the AAP-organised rally "completely failed." "The announcement of an attack on the Prime Minister's residence has once again revealed the dark, Naxalite-like faces of Kejriwal and Gopal Rai and they should understand that there is no place for their words in civil society," he added. Addressing a gathering of people, many of whom have lived under the threat of eviction for the past five months, Kejriwal alleged that while Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks of 'Jahan Jhuggi, Wahan Makaa
Former Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh on Saturday said efforts are underway for setting up a popular government in the state, which is now under the President's rule. Speaking at the sidelines of a programme at the BJP state headquarters here, Singh expressed hope that a new government will be formed in Manipur soon. "We are working to form a government at the earliest. We are a national party. I have faith that a government will be formed soon after looking into the ground situation. The BJP and its allies want a popular government as well. We are working for the formation of a popular government," he said. Singh said the BJP has not criticised anybody and is concentrating only on the present crisis. "We are approaching the central government and concerned persons to bring an amicable solution and peace in the state. In the meantime, we are also working to form a popular government with frequent gatherings of MLAs. Everybody wants the restoration of peace. Peace is compulsor
The EC has launched a special revision of electoral rolls in Bihar citing constitutional norms; the Opposition claims it targets marginalised voters before polls
The medical report of Kolkata law student's has confirmed injuries. Four people, including a TMC-linked ex-student and a guard, have been arrested in the rape case so far
TMC MP Kalyan Banerjee says if ex-students can re-enter campus and commit crimes, it suggests suspicious links and raises concerns over how such access was possible
A woman was allegedly gang-raped at a Kolkata law college, sparking political outrage and protests. Three accused, including a TMC student leader, have been arrested. NCW demands urgent probe
The opposition INDIA bloc in Bihar on Friday strongly opposed the Election Commission's (EC) proposed intensive revision of electoral rolls ahead of the state assembly elections. Averment to this effect came at a joint press conference here addressed by RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav, Congress' media and publicity department chief Pawan Khera and CPI(ML) general secretary Dipankar Bhattacharya, among others. "We suspect that this exercise, which seeks documents from voters that few might possess, is aimed at disenfranchising a large number of people especially those from deprived sections of society," alleged Tejashwi Yadav, a former Deputy CM who is currently the leader of the opposition. He alleged, "Once names are struck off the voters' list, the next step could be depriving these people of the benefits of social welfare schemes". The young leader remarked, "It is impossible for the EC to conduct such a mammoth exercise in just 25 days, as it has proposed. If, indeed, it is possible
Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Friday flagged off 105 new orange-coloured DEVI (Delhi EV Inter-connector) electric buses and inaugurated the newly built Sector A9 depot in Narela, calling it a step towards cleaner and more efficient public transport for the capital. Gupta said the depot was completed in just 90 days and claimed it reflects the BJP government's commitment to deliver on promises made to Delhi residents. She also attacked the previous Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government, accusing it of pushing Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) into losses and fostering a corrupt system. "Buses are Delhi's lifeline. But under the previous government, routes were cut, buses reduced, and corruption seeped in," she said. Referring to the CAG report, Gupta claimed that DTC had incurred losses amounting to Rs 65,000 crore during the earlier regime. She alleged that even the free bus ride scheme for women was marred by corruption and panic buttons were installed "just for show". Highlight
With US President Donald Trump announcing that a "very big" trade deal is on the cards with India, the Congress on Friday took a swipe at the government and said it seems that India gets to know decisions of great importance to it from the White House. The opposition party's swipe at the government came after President Donald Trump said a "very big" trade deal is on the cards with India, hinting at significant progress in the negotiation process of a long-awaited bilateral trade agreement between the two countries. "We are having some great deals. We have one coming up, maybe with India. Very big one. Where we're going to open up India," said Trump while speaking at the 'Big Beautiful Bill' event at the White House. Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said that "after repeating 16 times" that he used a trade deal as an instrument to bring about a ceasefire between India & Pakistan, Trump has now announced that the India-US trade agreement is going to .
Responding sharply, Chief Minister Bhajan Lal Sharma lashed out at the Congress, saying that those who never respected the Constitution or its maker are now pretending to save it
Highlights: Catch all the news developments from around the world here
A Mumbai court on Thursday issued a non-bailable warrant against Maharashtra minister Nitesh Rane in connection with a defamation complaint lodged against him in 2023 by Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Sanjay Raut. The court had last month issued a bailable warrant against Rane for failing to appear for hearings in the case. During the hearing on June 2, the BJP leader had filed an application seeking permanent exemption from appearance. However, on Thursday, Judicial Magistrate First Class (Mazgaon court) A A Kulkarni denied him permanent exemption and issued a non-bailable warrant. The matter has been adjourned to July 18 for a report on the NBW. Earlier too, the court had issued multiple warrants against Rane, who is BJP MLA from the state's Konkan region, for failing to appear in the hearing of the case. In May 2023, Nitesh Rane, son of former Union minister Narayan Rane, had allegedly called Raut a "snake" who would ditch Uddhav Thackeray and join the (undivided) NCP by June that ...
The road transport minister says development must be guided by long-term merit, not election cycles, even as states head to polls with pre-budget handouts and populist pledges
Today's news updates: Catch all the news developments from around the world here
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that no Indian will ever forget the manner in which the spirit of the Constitution was violated during the Emergency, as he affirmed his government's commitment to strengthening constitutional principles. In a series of posts on X on the 50th anniversary of the Emergency, Modi said it was one of the darkest chapters in India's democratic history. The values enshrined in the Constitution were set aside, fundamental rights suspended, press freedom extinguished and a large number of political leaders, social workers, students and ordinary citizens jailed, he noted. The prime minister said, "It was as if the Congress Government in power at that time placed democracy under arrest." The Modi government had announced last year that the Emergency anniversary will be commemorated as "Samvidhan Hatya Diwas". The 42nd Amendment, which made extensive changes to the Constitution and was reversed by the Janata Party government, is a prime example o
BJP president J P Nadda on Wednesday said the Congress continues to have the same dictatorial mindset that was behind the imposition of the Emergency 50 years back, stating that it believes only one family has a right to govern the country. In his remarks on the 50th anniversary of the Emergency, he said the Congress is still unable to reconcile to the idea of a person from a humble background, like Narendra Modi, as prime minister. While Rahul Gandhi and the Congress cite the Constitution, he said the opposition party has still not apologised for the Emergency, the 21-month period between June 1975 and March 1977 during which opposition leaders were jailed, the press censored and civil liberties suspended by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi. Undemocratic amendments were introduced to the Constitution and its soul was distorted, he said of the era. Nadda claimed that the law and order situation in the Congress-ruled states remained as it was in the Emergency, marked by ...
Tharoor said the column was written about 'Operation Sindoor', in which he described the success of the diplomatic outreach mission
The Congress on Tuesday attacked the Centre over interest rates on savings accounts reportedly reaching the lowest level in 25 years, alleging that the Modi government has in the last 11 years left no stone unturned in "ruining" the country's rapidly growing economy. Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh shared a media report on X which claimed that the 1% cut in repo rate by the RBI has forced banks to reduce their deposit rates, pushing savings account interest rates to a 25-year low. "In the last 11 years, the Modi government has left no stone unturned in ruining the country's rapidly growing economy. Starting with demonetization, new experiments are being conducted on the people of the country every year, they are being tortured in new ways everyday," Ramesh said in a post on X in Hindi. The interest rates on savings accounts have reached the lowest level in 25 years, which is directly hitting the pockets of the elderly and the common citizens, he ...