In total, the UN is appealing to donors for $2.8 billion for Gaza and the West Bank - tenfold the amount it said it needed the week after Hamas attacked Israel in October, starting the war
A graphic video obtained from eyewitness Nihad Owdetallah, showed several casualties lying on the floor
The terror group's draft added that 30 Palestinian prisoners would be released for every Israeli civilian, a steep increase from the 3:1 ratio of the weeklong Nov truce
Austin 'made clear that Israel could count on full US support to defend Israel against any attacks by Iran and its regional proxies,' Ryder said
While Israel has been accused of using opaque AI tools in the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, the IDF has denied that such systems are used to select targets without any human intervention
Within weeks of Hamas's Oct. 7 attack that Israel says killed almost 1,200 people, Heba and her family were forced to flee south from their home in Gaza City to Rafah
An Israeli airstrike in the Gaza Strip killed three sons of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on Wednesday, relatives and official Hamas media said, with Haniyeh accusing Israel of acting in the spirit of revenge and murder. Haniyeh's sons are among the highest profile figures to have been killed in the war so far. It was not immediately clear how their deaths might affect the months-long cease-fire talks being brokered by international mediators. Haniyeh confirmed the deaths Wednesday in an interview with the Al Jazeera satellite channel, saying his sons were martyred on the road to liberating Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa Mosque. The criminal enemy is driven by the spirit of revenge and murder and does not value any standards or laws, he said in the phone interview. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army. In his interview with Al Jazeera, Haniyeh said the killings would not pressure Hamas into softening its positions. The enemy believes that by targeting the families of the
Israel and Hamas sent teams to Egypt on Sunday for talks that included Qatari and Egyptian mediators as well as CIA Director William Burns
India termed the UN Security Council resolution that demanded immediate ceasefire in Gaza for the month of Ramadan a "positive step," asserting that the humanitarian crisis resulting from the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict is "simply unacceptable." "We are deeply troubled by the ongoing conflict in Gaza. The humanitarian crisis has deepened and instability has been increasing in the region and beyond," India's Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador Ruchira Kamboj, told a UN General Assembly meeting here Monday. She said India views the adoption of a resolution on March 25 by the UN Security Council "as a positive step." Kamboj said the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas has led to a large-scale loss of civilian lives, especially women and children. "The resulting humanitarian crisis is simply unacceptable," she said, adding that Delhi has strongly condemned the deaths of civilians in the conflict and it is imperative to avoid the loss of civilian lives in any conflict
Little visibility on the end of the conflict
Western powers have voiced outrage over what they see as an unacceptably high Palestinian civilian death toll and humanitarian crisis in Gaza arising from Israel's military onslaught to destroy Hamas
Brent crude futures dropped 90 cents or 1%, to $90.27 a barrel by 1000 GMT. U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude was down 86 cents, or about 0.9%, at $86.05
Israel's military announced Sunday it had withdrawn its forces from the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis, wrapping up a key phase in its ground offensive against the Hamas militant group and bringing its troop presence in the territory to one of the lowest levels since the six-month war began. But defence officials said troops were merely regrouping as the army prepares to move into Hamas' last stronghold, Rafah. The war in Gaza continues, and we are far from stopping, said the military chief, Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi. Local broadcaster Channel 13 TV reported that Israel was preparing to begin evacuating Rafah within one week and the process could take several months. Still, the withdrawal was a milestone as Israel and Hamas marked six months of fighting. Military officials, speaking on condition of anonymity under army policy, said a significant force remained in Gaza to continue targeted operations including in Khan Younis, a Hamas stronghold and hometown of the group's leader, Yehy
Preliminary hearings are opening Monday at the United Nations' top court in a case that seeks an end to German military and other aid to Israel, based on claims that Berlin is enabling acts of genocide and breaches of international humanitarian law in the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza. Nicaragua argues that by giving Israel political, financial and military support and by defunding the United Nations aid agency for Palestinians, UNRWA, Germany is facilitating the commission of genocide and, in any case has failed in its obligation to do everything possible to prevent the commission of genocide. While the case brought by Nicaragua centers on Germany, it indirectly takes aim at Israel's military campaign in Gaza following the deadly Oct. 7 attacks when Hamas-led militants stormed into southern Israel, killing some 1,200 people. More than 33,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, according to the territory's Health Ministry. Its toll doesn't differentiate between civilians and combatants
Israelis have been expressing increasing dissatisfaction with Netanyahu's management of the ongoing conflict, and the release of the hostages who have been held in Gaza since October 7
Two basic mistakes, according to the Israeli military. First, an officer overlooked a message detailing the vehicles in the convoy. Second, a spotter saw something in one car possibly a bag that he thought was a weapon. Officials say the result was the series of Israeli drone strikes that killed seven aid workers on a dark Gaza road. The Israeli military has described the deadly strike on the World Central Kitchen convoy as a tragic error. Its explanation raises the question: If that's the case, how often has Israel made such mistakes in its 6-month-old offensive in Gaza? Rights groups and aid workers say Monday night's mistake was hardly an anomaly. They say the wider problem is not violations of the military's rules of engagement but the rules themselves. In Israel's drive to destroy Hamas after its October 7 attacks, the rights groups and aid workers say, the military seems to have given itself wide leeway to determine what is a target and how many civilian deaths it allows as
The words coming from some of Israel's closest allies have been startling in their vehemence: appalled, outraged, no more excuses. The Israeli military's killing of seven aid workers in Gaza has triggered unprecedented criticism from European leaders, who are stepping up calls for a cease-fire and in some cases halting arms sales to Israel as the war's toll mounts. The attack on the World Central Kitchen convoy has sharpened the dilemma for European politicians, who are squeezed between support for an ally that suffered a terrible attack on October 7 and growing public pressure to stop a war over which they have little control. Nothing justifies such a tragedy, French Foreign Minister Sbastien Sjourn said after Monday's attack. UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he was appalled by the deaths of the aid workers, three of whom were British. Britain summoned the Israeli ambassador for a reprimand over the killings. So did Poland, which lost one of its citizens and whose foreign minist
US President Joe Biden on Friday wrote to the leaders of Egypt and Qatar, calling on them to press Hamas for hostage deal with Israel, according to a senior administration official, one day after Biden called on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to redouble efforts to reach a cease-fire in the six-month-old war in Gaza. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the private letters, said Biden's national security adviser will meet Monday with family members of some of the estimated 100 hostages who are believed to still be in Gaza. The letters come as Biden has deployed CIA Director Bill Burns to Cairo for talks this weekend about the hostage crisis.
The Israeli military said Friday that it has dismissed two officers and reprimanded three others for their roles in drone strikes in Gaza that killed seven aid workers on a food-delivery mission, saying they had mishandled critical information and violated the army's rules of engagement. The findings of a retired general's investigation into the Monday killings marked an embarrassing admission by Israel, which faces growing accusations from key allies, including the US, of not doing enough to protect Gaza's civilians from its war with Hamas. The findings are likely to renew scepticism over the Israeli military's decision-making. Palestinians, aid groups and human rights organisations have repeatedly accused Israeli forces of firing recklessly at civilians throughout the conflict a charge Israel denies. It's a tragedy, the military's spokesman, Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, told reporters. It's a serious event that we are responsible for and it shouldn't have happened and we will make su
Israel faces increasing isolation as international criticism mounts over its killing of six foreign aid workers this week who were trying to deliver desperately needed food in Gaza