You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

CCI approves merger of four BWA entities of Qualcomm-Bharti

While Qualcomm owns 51% stake in each of these four companies, the remaining 49% equity is with Bharti Airtel

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Competition Commission today approved the merger of four broadband wireless business entities jointly owned by US-based telecom giant Qualcomm and domestic major Bharti Airtel.

As per the proposed merger, Qualcomm's BWA (Broadband Wireless Access) entities in Delhi, Kerala and Haryana would be merged with Wireless Business Services Pvt Ltd, which was given licenses for BWA (high-speed internet) services in these three states and in Mumbai.

While Qualcomm owns 51% stake in each of these four companies, the remaining 49% equity is with Bharti Airtel.

The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of three entities -- WBBS Delhi, WBBS Kerala and WBBS Haryana -- with Wireless Business Services Pvt Ltd (WBSPL).


The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had awarded Boardband Wireless Access (BWA) spectrum to WBSPL in four service areas -- Mumbai, Delhi, Kerala and Haryana.

WBBS Delhi, WBBS Kerala and WBBS Haryana were incorporated to provide Internet access services.

In an order, the CCI said the proposed combination is not likely to have an appreciable adverse effect on competition in India.

"It is observed that the shareholding pattern of each of WBSPL, WBBS Delhi, WBBS Haryana and WBBS Kerala before the combination and the shareholding pattern of WBSPL, the surviving entity, after the combination would be same.

"Therefore the combination does not give rise to any adverse competition concern," the order said.

Following objection from the DoT, the four entities and Qualcomm had agreed to the merger proposal.

According to the CCI, the order would be revoked, if at any time, the information provided to it is found to be incorrect.

In May, Bharti Airtel had announced a Rs 922 crore ($165 million) deal with Qualcomm Asia Pacific which would help the domestic major to establish a stronghold in fast-growing high speed internet services segment.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, August 31 2012. 20:38 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.