You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

Imax plans mega dome in Kolkata

BS Reporter  |  Kolkata 

Kolkata will get its first 3-dimensional (3D) Imax in January with 20 metre screen and 12,000 watt sound system.

This also would be the largest financial investment ever made in a Kolkata cinema.

According to Jim Patterson, director, Aeren R Entertainment, “Our aim is to offer differentiation to our consumers so that the concept becomes viable and successful. The cost of such domes range between $3 and $5 million per hall excluding land or rental cost, ticket prices will be kept reasonal. For instance, at Kolkata, tickets on an average will be priced at Rs 200.”

Imax intends to show around 10 movies in 3D in 2009 like Star Trek, Shrek, etc, where consumers can almost ‘get inside’ the movie.

Currently there are two Imax in Hyderabad and Ahmedabad.

While the Kolkata project would be opened in January next year, the Delhi project could see the light of day around the middle of the next year.

The company is also likely to open 10 more properties by 2010.

The Imax theatre network currently consists of more than 295 theatres in 40 countries.

Approximately 60 percent of the theatres are located in North America, while the remaining 40 percent are spread internationally.

Roughly half of the theatres are part of commercial theatre complexes. The rest are located in institutional venues, such as museums and science centers. More than half of the Imax theatre network is equipped with Imax 3D technology.

First Published: Fri, December 19 2008. 00:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU