You are here: Home » Companies » News
Business Standard

SpiceJet offers flexi travel solutions

Customers can earn up to Rs 1,500 by swapping flights

Sharmistha Mukherjee  |  New Delhi 

Budget carrier SpiceJet has tied up with travel solutions portal Optiontown to offer customers flexible travel options to purchase empty seats, make multiple bookings and switch flights while travelling on the airline.

What is more is that customers with flexible travel plans can earn up to Rs 1,500 by agreeing to swap their travel time or date from their scheduled travel time.

Called the flexible reward option (FRo), a passenger can earn up to Rs 1,500 by agreeing to fly on a different time and enabling the airline to make money by selling the seat to a last minute passenger.

The three other options - empty seat option (ESo), multiple booking option (MBo) and preferred flight option (PFo) — can be availed at a nominal fee. Passengers with SpiceJet tickets can avail these services by registering on the Optiontown website. Optiontown provides its service to consumers of 15 airlines globally.

ESo would allow passengers on SpiceJet to fly with an empty seat beside one's own by paying just Rs 250 for one seat and Rs 400 for two empty seats. The sign-up fee for the service is Rs 50.

Airlines would not find it difficult to have empty seats on flights as the passenger load factor for flights ranges between 75% and 80%. This leaves around 20% of the plane empty to gain incremental revenues.

“This is a unique initiative and we will surely make money that will add to our bottomline. There are a lot of fliers who would like to fly with an empty seat beside their seats,” said V Raja, vice president (commercial),SpiceJet.

Sachin Goel, founder and CEO of Optiontown informed that these options have a potential to generate revenues for airlines. “In terms of economic impact, our travel options generated about $2 in incremental profit per flown passenger for one of our airline partners.”

SpiceJet is the first Indian carrier to launch these options for Indian fliers.

The other options include the facility to make multiple bookings and hold confirmed availability on additional flights. The customer availing of the MBo service gets the right to decide, up to 24 hours before departure, the flight they want to fly.

The PFo, in the meantime, gives the customer the chance to be moved to his flight of choice at a nominal price.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Mon, August 19 2013. 19:09 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.