You are here: Home » Current Affairs » Coronavirus » News
Business Standard

Kolkata: Braving low turnout, theatres to screen films in truncated manner

Owners of some single-screen theatres who were mulling suspension of screening due to low turnout at reopened cinema halls, reversed their decision, saying the show will go on in a truncated manner

Topics
Kolkata | theatres | Coronavirus

Press Trust of India  |  Kolkata 

Most operators have also lined up discounts between 15 and 30 per cent on tickets, food and beverages as well as consumer promotions as part of their reopening plans

Owners of some single-screen

who were mulling suspension of screening from Friday due to low turnout at reopened cinema halls, reversed their decision, saying the show will go on in a truncated manner, after their counterparts in Mumbai decided to open doors to viewers despite risks.

The development in Maharashtra with cinema hall owners in the western state deciding to operate has motivated the owners here to run cinema halls even with one show, a spokesman of the Eastern India Motion Pictures Association (EIMPA) said.

"If Mumbai, the hub of Hindi film industry with a large number of theatres, can take the risk of operating cinema halls amid lack of new content and fear of the audiences contracting COVID-19, why not " he asked.

Priya cinema in south Kolkata, which had been planning to suspend screening from November 6 due to lack of content rich films and very little audience, will now screen the 1969 Satyajit Ray classic "Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne" for a single show every day from November 7, hall owner and director of Priya Entertainments Arijit Dutta told PTI.

"Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne", a fantasy film for children with a subtle anti-war message, had been produced by Purnima Pictures, owned by Dutta's family.

"Yes, we are not suspending shows. After the news from Maharashtra came, we deliberated among ourselves. The show must go on. But in the present situation, there is no point in running multiple shows," Dutta said.

The Maharashtra government has allowed to reopen from Thursday but it might be some more days before audiences can get to watch a movie on the big screen with hall owners saying they need some time to get things ready.

Another popular cinema hall Menoka in south will run Shiboprosad Mukhopadhyay-Nandita Roy production "Brahma Janen Gopon Kommoti", from November 6, reversing its earlier decision to close down from Friday till the situation was conducive.

"We had a talk among ourselves last afternoon after getting the news from Maharashtra. Running even one show is important to keep the morale high," Pranab Roy, owner of Menoka Cinema Hall, said.

Sourav Bose, one of the owners of Basusree Cinema in Kalighat area of the city, said, "we had been contemplating suspension of all shows till mid-December as we were getting four-five persons in a show or sometimes zero audience.

"However, after the developments in Maharashtra, we have decided to host one show daily as of now. We will run the Durga Puja release "SOS Kolkata" starring Nusrat Jahan and Mimi Chakraborty."


Apart from the aversion of a section of people to watch films in despite all COVID-19 safety protocols being observed by the authorities, the increasing trend to have new and old releases on OTT platform and transferring the streaming from android sets to big screen smart TVs is changing the viewing habits of public, Bose said.

"To make them realise that there cannot be an alternative to watching some films on big screens, we may need some more time," he said.

The EIMPA spokesman said, 50 per cent of about 200 single screens all over state had reopened after October 15- 16, but were running shows in empty houses.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Fri, November 06 2020. 19:11 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU