You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

DPR to be ready soon for Strategic Statistical Plan

Jayajit Dash  |  Kolkata/ Bhubaneswar 

The detailed project report (DPR) is expected to be readied by the end of November this year for the implementation of the Strategic Statistical Plan in Orissa. The DPR is being prepared by D J Consultants, a city-based consultancy firm.

The DPR would project the manpower requirement, capacity building and the statistical infrastructure needed at different government departments and also at the district level to ensure the successful implementation of the Plan.

"We have targeted to prepare the DPR by the end of November this year. The plan implementation would involve an expenditure of Rs 20 crore for different departments and this would be funded by the World Bank. The plan implementation would also be done at the district level for which the 13 th Finance Commission would provide Rs 30 crore”, an official source told Business Standard.

"The Plan seeks to strengthen the statistical cells at the various government departments. Though all departments have statistical cells, many of these cells are not functional at present”, he added.

The Strategic Statistical Plan aims to revamp the statistical apparatus of the state.

A steering committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of the state Chief Secretary T K Mishra to decide the modalities of the proposed plan. Under this plan, the Directorate of Economics and Statistics under the department of Planning and Coordination, will act as the nodal agency for the implementation of the Plan.

Besides the steering committee, a four-member project management team chaired by Additional Development Commissioner, R N Senapati has also been formed to work out the design and other specialist issues of the Plan, an official source told Business Standard.

The 'State Strategic Statistical Plan' is being taken up under the World Bank assisted India Statistical Strengthening Project.

The total cost of the project, excluding land and maintenance, is estimated at '675 crore, out of which the government’s contribution will be around 20 per cent. The remaining 80 per cent, or '540 crore, will come from the World Bank.

A total of 20 states have agreed to prepared 'State Strategic Statistical Plans'.

First Published: Sat, October 23 2010. 00:33 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU